We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,524 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Topic
Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

If you have used an American credit card successfully for buying Renfe tickets, please tell me which card you used (Visa, Mastercard, etc.) Thanks. As you probably know, many credit cards are not accepted by the Renfe website and I would like to know which ones are.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Benny - the problem about booking web fares or indeed any fares on RENFE Spanish Railways web site from USA was highlighted on the Malaga Forum today by a SBGUY:

It reads:

I called Renfe tonight and they said that they do not accept any USA-based credit cards anymore for Web fares, even American Express.

However, you can purchase the regular (non-discounted) price fares with a US credit card by calling them directly.

I took the advice of another tripadvisor member and emailed Renfe's agent in the UK and they supposedly will offer similar web-based fares and they email you a PDF with the confirmation. They accept US credit cards over the telephone. I'm waiting to hear from them and will let you know if I'm successful. Their website is: http://www.spanish-rail.co.uk/

2. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2009, 14:52
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Any word on Spanish rail??? Are they offering the discounts???

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Bobbi,

FYI, Renfe cited in the first and very good post is "Spanish rail". Renfe is an acronym for Red Espanola de Nacional Ferrocarriles, which means Spanish System

of National Railroads. Everyone says "RENFE". So that the first recommendation and connect RENFE agent in the UK.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Have you had any new information about the Credit Card from the US? I am trying to book several journeys within Spain for 6 people following BennyMalaga's advice, however I cannot progress in registering with the No.targeta (after the passport) because I don't have a card number...what are they looking for? Generating that card number is severely holding me up. Any thoughts? Please.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Hazeltonian - you have no need to register. The page you are referring to is for registered AVE Club card holders, this is for Spanish residents only.

Ignore this page and just search for the trains you wish to purchase tickets for.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Thank you so much, do you know what qualifies for a child discount? I have a 12, 10, 8 and 6 yr old travelling. I am not sure if the 12 year old is an adult or a child.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

Child discounts are for ages 4 to 14 on the day of travel. The discount is 40% off the FULL fare, and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. So for example, if you get the web fare, which is 60% discount, there is no extra child discount on this price.

Boston
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

I purchased tickets on 2/16 using a US issued MasterCard after my American Express card wouldn't work.

Austin
Level Contributor
147 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Survey on Using American Credit Cards for Renfe

On Feb 16, I made 2 different purchases and used 2 different credit cards (just in case my card companies balked at foreign charges). I used both MasterCard and Visa.