We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Arriving on 13 May in A.M. at Barajas. What is best way to get to Atocha station for Ave to Sevilla with luggage? I speak minimal Spanish. Are taxis ok? I have read many cautions such as extra charges and one must insure that the meter in the taxi is used. How about the Metro? Difficult with luggage?

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Taxi would be most comfortable and would cost just over 30 euros (estimated)

You could, for 5.20 euros, buy an abono turistico ticket and make the following journey:

Metro from the airport to 'Nuevos Ministerios' At 'Nuevos Ministerios' change from the Metro system to the Cercanias line and take the train to Atocha.

It's quite a simple journey to make, and you'll be ok with your luggage at the time you're arriving.

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Thank you for your reply Jason. I really need more advice. We arrive at 9:55 in the morning. Our final destination is Rota. We will stay at the Navy Lodge there and tour the area, beaches, white towns, with a rental car. My spouse wants to get the AVE to Sevilla and rent the car there and drive to Rota the day we arrive. I think that might be a bit much for the day of arrival after a flight from US. I read another post that said to allow about 3.5 hours for delays etc. between landing and getting to the station for the train to Sevilla. Then the train is 2.5 hours. Then the drive from Sevilla to Rota is about 1.5+ hours according to the ViaMichelin website map I pulled up. Would it be more advisable to spend a night in Madrid or Sevilla near the station in either city and start fresh the next day? We plan two nights in Madrid at the end of the trip.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Wherever you are coming from in the US, you will be arriving in Madrid in the middle of the night US time.

In other words if you arrive 8 am Madrid, that's 1 am in Chicago, 2 am in NYC, midnight in Denver or 11 pm in Los Angeles. Do you see what I mean?

If you and your husband are good with starting on a new

journey in the middle of the night without a goodnight's sleep on the plane, then fine, go for it.

If not, stay the day in Madrid, but stay in a hotel (lots of them) in the general area of Atocha, El Prado, or Plaza de Santa Ana so that the next day, you could take short taxi ride or walk to the train station.

BTW, if you stay, conventional wisdom is not is not to sleep the day in Madrid. I am usually ready to keep going, but some of the family is not...and find sleeping a couple of hours helps to get going for the rest of the day. Then go to bed when you ready

and start to get on the Spanish schedule.

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

atlast;

I firmly believe what your spouse is proposing is too much to do in one day. Better to stay in Madrid (I used to book into The Carlton prior to living here which is just a few minutes from Atocha train station) for the night then start anew the following day. I mean you could get straight down to Seville and check into a hotel there but at least leave the car journey bit till the next day.

These are my humble thoughts, for what they're worth.

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Muchas gracias to both of you, Jason and Holakjs. I was really leaning toward either an overnight in Madrid or Sevilla and then driving the next day. We travel internationally quite a bit and even with the homeopathic aid "No Jet Lag" the arrival day is a tired one and before trying to drive, a night's rest would be best. Any recommendations from either of you for a hotel in Sevilla near the station?

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Please tell me more about the abono touristico ticket. Where would I get it? Thanks!

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

The abono turistico tickets can be bought at either the manned kioska at the airport Metro station or from the self service machines (English language selectable)

You have to select 'other tickets' then press abono turistico. It's very easy in fact.

Enjoy your trip.

ACT
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Hi,

I am researching this very thing myself. We arrive on the 18th May and we need to get to Atoche Cercanias to get the train to Gijon.

I have found that the train is the cheapest at around 1Euro per ticket.

Depending on which terminal you arrive in. There is a Train station at T2. From T2 you get on to train line 8. You travel to Nuevos Ministerios (approx 15min), get off at Nuevos Ministerios and transfer to line 10 and travel to the station called Tribunal. At Tribunal you get off again and transfer to line 1 which will take you to Atocha.

The trip will take around 48 min (according to RENFE's website).

We will more than likely be doing this. We have 2 young children and 3 lge suitcases & onboard luggage; I just don't see a cab being able to cope with all our luggage.

It you have these details written down, you can get by with no problems. You can look at the maps and figure out that your stop is next & so on. There is also a Tourist information booth that speaks various languages that can assist you with the Metro, (according to the Barajas web page). So you should be fine.

HTH

London
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Hello

I was wondering how long approx the journey takes by taxi from Madrid Atochas train station to the airport? I'm planning to get an overnight train from Paris to Madrid, which arrives Madrid AStochas at 9.10am. I then need to get a flight from Madrid to Marrakech which leaves Madrid at 11am and am worried I'm not leaving myself enough time.

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to Atocha train station from Barajas Airport

Hello

What do you think the approx time is to travel from Madrid Atocha train station to the airport? I plan to get a train which arrives at Atocha at 9.10am and then a plane which is at 11am and not sure if that's enough time for me.

Thanks, Emmalou