We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid heat

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid heat

I will be in Madrid Sept 1-9, was wondering what the humidity is like. Is it hot without humidity? or hot with humidity? Do they have air conditioning in the museums? Restaurants? Metro?

What do people do to escape the heat? I read when it's very hot tourists take trips out of Madrid where it's cooler, I will be doing so but was hoping to not plan it all in advance.

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid heat

Madrid have very low humidity, this helps to deal with high temperatures.

In Septemeber normally nights are cooler, and that helps a lot, some years a light jacket is need for the nights but still the days are warm. I hope there aren't any more heat waves, this year we had many.

AIr con in museums? yes

Restaurants? most of them, yes

Metro? yes in the trains

To scape the heat? avoid the streets in the central hours of the day, take a siesta instead in the air conditioned room of your hotel, and stay awake until late in the evening and enjoy madrid nights.

If you must be outside in the heat of the midday, take water with you, always find the shadowed areas to walk by, do some shopping (air con in shops)

Outside Madrid cooler: depends, Toledo normally is warmer, Segovia is at higer altitude and is normally slightly cooler, specially by nights. Many people have a second house close to the mountains which have cooler nights at least.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid heat

Interesting point that activi makes. Spain has the highest percentage of first home owners AND of second home owners in the EU. Investment in the stock market is nowhere as popular as in the US. As people acquire resources to invest, they go to real estate, which until recently makes it harder for the young to get into the market.

I know this is off the heat topic, but it explains the "many people have second homes in the mountains" and it can be added "at the beach".

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid heat

hi.

madrid has very good climate.when we were last summer there we never felt uncomfy with the weather.it is hot but not unbearable, usually it has a breeze and evenings are very pleasant.madrid is a fantastic city-you are going to love it!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid heat

The heat in early September should be quite tolerable, about 8F to 10F degrees on average warmer than Toronto is at that time of year. Humidity shouldn't be a problem.

Being a first world country, all of the major museums are fully air-conditioned. Most restaurants have a/c, but not all of the less expensive places. And yes, the metro cars do have an a/c system of sorts.

http://www.ctm-madrid.es/

http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid heat

Also a/c on most buses and commuter trains

Last year summer was not as warm as this year. The main problem with heat waves (warm air from north africa)is not only higher temperatures by day, near or over 40c, but also min temp by night, over 25c. you can't relief of the heat by night and sleep adequately. But if you stay in an apartment or hotel with a/c that shouldn't be a problem.

The 'second home' at the 'sierra' is a fact, there are less traffic in every road leading to Madrid during the summer, but specially in august,... except A6 heading to Guadarrama mountains, which has more traffic. Apart of that many people have apartmentes at the beach but they can't use them as a base for going and returning to the work in Madrid everyday. (nearest beach is Valencia at 350km).

Anyway in september heat waves are unlikely to happen.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,832 posts
3,571 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid heat

Esther:

This summer has been one of the warmest summers in most of Spain. Hopefully the temperature should drop by the time you come.

UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid heat

Also Taxis have a/c and one of the passengers rights is to have the a/c switched on in Summer.

When I first visited Madrid 20 years ago the taxi driver's idea of a/c was to a) lower the windows and b) drive faster. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid heat

My wife and I were there in mid July this past year. The highs were about 35 C. We were quite worried as we are not ones to take taxis -- even from the airport/train station. Both of us get sweaty quite easily, yet I think in our two weeks in Spain, there was only one time we got sweaty(carrying our bags to the taxi in seville). The Spanish cities are designed to block out the sun, with many of the streets being very narrow and cavernous and even the main shopping streets covered with canopies in the summer. We discovered if you're walking down a wide street and get hot, move off to a side street that is a bit more cavernous.

If you need cool temps to sleep, check with the hotel first as they may turn off the a/c in non-summer months.

9. Re: Madrid heat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 05:18