We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

I want to start by thanking all of the people who take time to post reviews and answer questions in the Forum. What an amazing resource and an incredible gesture of kindness. Even with all this and reading and re-reading Maribel's Guide I still cant decide between these three: Hotel Preciados, Hotel de las Letras and Catalonia las Cortes. I wasn't also looking at the ME Reina Victoria but though tit might be too loud and was quite a bit more money once you upgrade from the standard room. Any more advice that anyone would like to share? I might just put them all on a wall and throw a dart at this point

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

The Preciados is in a different, and in my opinion, less desirable location than the others. It's smack in the middle of the most commercial area, although the part of the street it''s on is quieter and calmer. The Hotel de las Letras is on the lower end of the Gran Via, where it begins, and would be pretty close to the major musums. Read the reviews on this hotel, as I think opinions vary. I logged a fair amount of time recently in its very nice lounge. But you don't have to be a guest in the hotel to do that. The Catalonia las Cortes, out of all these hotels, would be my favored location. It's near a lot of nightlife, but the street is lovely. It's near the Plaza Santa Ana. I did pass that hotel many times, and it looked very nice, but I don't have firsthand experience. The street is great. If money were no object, I might choose the ME Reina Victoria, right on the plaza. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of these choices. The Preciados is very nice, it's just not my choice of location. But nothing is very far in Madrid, so ...

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

I should qualify nightlife--Calle Prada, where the Catalonia is located--was near the kind of nightlife I like--2 very good, albeit casual, jazz clubs, and two excellent--and authentic--flamenco places. There's also a lof of little bars serving tapas, and many pleasant places to duck into for breakfast (I noticed that especially on my last day). There's terrific hanging out possibilities.Again, this is all according to my tastes. Maybe you like different things.

Edited: 11 January 2010, 22:39
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

Thank you very much. My concern with the Preciados was the location, which was the thing I like the best about the Catalonia. Both of those hotels have pretty consistently positive reviews while the Hotel de las Letras has review all over the place from glowing to bashing. We all have our own tastes. We are not that concerned with nightlife, just good dinners. We love museums and taking in the sites and walking around cities. So usually we are pretty beat at night and we like to go back to the hotel and relax. I'm sure no matter whcih one we pick there will be things to like and dislike

madrid
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

As far as location and bulding's beauty:

1) ME MADRID

Plaza de Santa Ana, 14

Madrid SPAIN 28012

Email: memadrid@solmelia.com

2) Catalonia

granvisconti@yahoo.c...
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

ME Reina Victoria. Hands down.

SI - it can be loud, if you want that. I stayed there, with the same concerns, but asked for a VERY quiet room at check-in. I was rewarded with a mid-floor view of Plaza Santa Ana, with couble windows to ensure that I never heard a peep from outside. The room was away from the nightclub/restaurant entrance; the roof top noise seem to be more of an issue during warm months. The room itself was fantastic, one of the nicest I have stayed in the EU - at any price.

If there are availabilities, I would also suggest any of the ROOM MATE locations (Mario, Oscar, Alicia, Laura). Las Letras would be my ist choice of your "decisione", but I would heartily recommend any of these aformentioned properties.

(For me, Las Letras is just another "travellers hotel" - smallish rooms, a little tatty, with a LOUD location right on Gran Via.)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

We stayed at Catalonia las Cortes last year and thought it was great. It was close to many of the museums/restaurants we wanted to go to. The hotel itself is very nice, and we had a wonderful stay. We will likely stay there again on an upcoming trip to Madrid. Best wishes on a great trip!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,244 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

I always travel with ear plugs because any noise disturbs me.

Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

It looks like I am adding the ME to my list an maybe taking the Preciados off (although I do like the idea of the free minibar). I will see if my TA can get me a deal at the ME. I really do want to try and keep things at $200 a night or less with breakfast. I am assuming the breakfast at the ME is fabulous, right?

granvisconti@yahoo.c...
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

Breakfast?!?!? In Madrid? I dunno - I have never been awake before 2pm when on holiday in Madrid, so I couldn't tell you. Breakfast service has never been the deciding factor in any hotel I have ever stayed in (free or otherwise). Most Spaniards will have a pastry & cortado in the AM, so I wouldn't expect a Denny's Grand Slam with a build-your-own waffle station....

Another "plus" at the ME - FREE internet. That actually WORKS!!! (Plus, it's less than 10 minutes walk to Prado, CaixaForum, etc.)

It is one of the more expensive choices in the city, but the location + free internet make it the preferred choice for me.

(NOTE I was able to get a "junior suite" at the`LAURA`for a little less than the mid-level room at the ME - two levels, 2 bathroom, with a view of a spectacular square. Just sayin'..........) :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am addicted to reading reviews and still can't decide

Once you arrive, you will barely see your hotel room. Take ear-plugs. We stayed in a Petit Palace with a room right on the Grand Via. There was some noise but I was so tired that it didn't worry me! The public transport system is excellent .. it takes moments to travel from place to place on the underground (be careful .. I had my bag slashed and phone stolen in two separate incidents in three days) and there are on-off bus tours that visit all of the main sites. It's a great city!