We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel

Stockport,UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel

We are staying in Madrid for four nights from the first of May.Looking for suggestions for a good four star hotel in a good location near restaurants,sights,etc.

Many thanks. Max.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
1. Re: Which hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 14:42
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,376 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel

I usually stay at the Melia Galgos Hotel beside Calle Serrano. This is an upscale hotel in the best neighborhood, the Barrio Salamanca, where there is little street crime and no prostitution. The best stores are in Calle Serrano and Calle Goya, all walkable from the hotel. Downtown is a short metro ride away, and a taxi does not cost much.

Go to the Melia website and see if you can get a discounted price. The Melia chain has more than 20 hotels in Madrid.

Mentioned in this post
Serrano
Serrano
38 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Goya Restaurant
Goya Restaurant
237 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel

The #1# rated hotel for Madrid in TA is the Best Western Atlántico, which is a 4 star hotel, very centrally located in the middle of Gran Vía, one of Madrid's main avenues.

There are other very nice and well rated hotels in the city centre, such as the Hotel Preciados, Hotel Suites Viena, Hotel Catalonia Las Cortes, etc...

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Hotel Preciados
Hotel Preciados
4,148 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Catalonia Las Cortes
Catalonia Las Cortes
1,729 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel

With the dollar being what it is, this is the first time ever, we have booked a hostal or small family hotel. We booked 5 nights at Hostal Adriano on Calle de Cruz. It's centrally located south of Puerta del Sol and north of Plaza de Santa Ana. Easy walking to both.

This is the formal review I wrote in another post.

We stayed at Hostal Adriano near the Plaza de Santa Ana. Good security, double paned window so quiet in an active area plus brightly colored and clean rooms. We stayed there two times. Once it was a blue room with plenty of light, and the second time with a yellow and white Maria Callas themed room! Look on their website for idea of the decor. It's accurate. 4th floor with elevator. Small refrigerator in each room. Another budget saver. Free internet available. Negatives. Small clean bathroom with plenty of hot water, good water pressure. The negative is the size of the bathroom.

Other places I would recommend in the same general area are: Hotel Suite Prado (good for families although reviews are uneven...and I don't know what happened to mine.) and Hotel el Prado. Both of these are just east of Plaza de Santa Ana.

Mentioned in this post
Puerta del Sol
Puerta del Sol
8,937 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Plaza de Santa Ana
Plaza de Santa Ana
2,562 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Suite Prado Hotel
Suite Prado Hotel
296 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Prado National Museum
Prado National Museum
46,725 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
New York
Level Contributor
309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel

I definitely think the Santa Ana area, or near it, is the best area-- there's plenty of pedestrian walkways, good tapas bars and restaurants and interesting, though not frenetic, night life. I would agree with the first poster who recommended the ME Madrid--it's right on the Plaza Santa Ana, and you might be able to get a deal. I don't know if it's a 4 or 5 star.

Another nice option might be the Hotel de Las Letras on the lower end of the Gran Via, which is a 3 or 4 star.

Edited: 25 January 2010, 18:12
Mentioned in this post
ME BY MELIA MADRID Reina Victoria
ME BY MELIA MADRID Reina...
3,323 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Iberostar Las Letras Gran Via
Iberostar Las Letras...
1,736 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Gran Via
Gran Via
10,427 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel

hotel preciados is ranked number 1 right now on trip advisor.. i stayed in nov. for 11 days. its rooms are very nice, free minibar, free computers downstairs or free wireless in your room. we had a nice view. they have a wonderful suite with a rooftop patio that looks over parts of the city and it is sonice to sit and have some wine and cheese and crackers before going out.. there is also a great wine store around the corner from th hotel, on your way to plaza san agustine

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel

I stayed at the Hotel Plaza Mayor (4 star) last summer and absolutely loved it. It overlooks Plaza Mayor which has an abundance of life in the evenings and nice outdoor cafes (if a tad overpriced). However there are also some markets and grocery stores very close by if you wanted to pick up some snacks. It is a tad out of the way from sights like Parque del Retiro and the museums (about 30 minutes) but the metro system in Madrid is quite good, so that shouldn't be a problem. At the same time, it's only about 10-15 minutes walking from the Palacio Royal.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Plaza Mayor
Hotel Plaza Mayor
762 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Plaza Mayor
Plaza Mayor
20,528 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Stockport,UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel

Thanks very much for the prompt replies.I emailed the Hotel Preciados yesterday evening and received a reply today so I have something to go at.I'll check out the other suggested hotels tonight.

Thanks again. Max.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Preciados
Hotel Preciados
4,148 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel

Another vote for the ME Madrid here. As another poster said, it's right on the Plaza Santa Ana, which really makes it convenient to most everything you want to see during the day, and still puts you right in the middle of some good bars and restaurants just steps away for your evening. We stayed in one of the smaller of the rooms, but it was easily manageable in terms of size, and it was definitely well-appointed. We hit the rooftop bar as well as the Midnight Rose for a light meal...both were great experiences, if a little pricey. If we were going back, we wouldn't look beyond this hotel...it was a great stay.

Mentioned in this post
ME BY MELIA MADRID Reina Victoria
ME BY MELIA MADRID Reina...
3,323 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
10. Re: Which hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 07:18