We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

We're an American family with two sons, ages 16 and 12. We'll be in Madrid for a weekend in mid-July. We're looking for recommendations on reasonably priced hotels or apartment rentals, as well as things to do. My sons love history, museums, palaces.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,651 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

Jourprof:

The Melia hotel chain is one of the biggest in Spain and on their website you will see 21 hotels in Madrid. Look for specials.

Read the Top Questions and Things to Do to see what sights you are interested in.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

Put the Palacio Real on your list and Toledo if you have time, as it was the ancient capitol of Spain, and a fasinating place to visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

We visited Madrid in December with four teens. Stayed at Petit Palace Italia. This chain has free wifi access and free in-room computers which they enjoyed using to 'connect' with their friends at home. On and Off bus was an efficent way of getting to the main attractions, including museums and galleries. Fabulous city. Just walking around and gazing was a treat! Read about its history before you leave.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
579 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

Also, check out friendlyrentals.com Booked an apartment for our two families (with teens) in June. You might want to do a soccer stadium tour as well. That is on our list along with Prado, Palace, Sunday flea market, and Retiro park.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

the last time in madrid with family we stayed at the abracadabra bed and breakfast in the la latina section. it was inexpensive enough that we rented two rooms with shared baths which were large and immaculate. the breakfasts were large and delicious. eduardo, the host speaks excellent english and will give you maps and directions. his wife norma, an artist has decorated the whole place like a work of art. it was a short walk to plaza major and we also walked to all the major museums. for a weekend i would definitely do the prado numero uno. there is an internet cafe very close by and i believe there is wireless at the b & b. my sons totally enjoyed this stay and i believe actually staying with a family was a wonderful way to enjoy madrid.

NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

I visited Madrid last month. For the first week, I rented an aprtment from Spain Select. The 2 bedroom apartment looked fantastic. However, I am still negoitating getting my full deposit back. It was not in reality what it was promoted to be. Air conditioning was not working, very very noisy apartment when I specifically requested very quiet! ~Front door ajar all day. Construction going on the entire time we were there. Window doors with balcony broken, washing machine leaked.......Professional managers should advise and guide renters appropiately for all to enjoy their stay. There are a lot of advantages to renting an apartment. We rented a great 2 bedroom apartment in Barcelona. The manager was present and generous with his time and assistance. It was the opposit with Spain Select. If you need a reccommendation for Barcelona check out Bonavista. The master bedroom is a good size. The 2nd bedroom quite small, but my 2 college age children stayed in the 2nd bedroom. The apartment in the back is more quiet. It also has a balcony. There is also a roof garden and all the kitchen equipment works including the washing machine.

NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

I would like to update my experience with Spain Select. The owner contacted me by phone, a very personal committment to correcting any mis-understanding or uncomfortable experience. It was extremely generous of him to follow through and take responsibility. He emailed, researched my situation and called. Reflecting on his actions, I realized he could have tossed this off as one bad experience but instead he continued to stay in contact with me and correct any mistakes that took place. This is the reason I choose to rent an apartment from Spain Select. The owner took responsibility when a problem appeared. Things sometimes happen unexpectatly and it is comforting to know one has the backing and support of professionals.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,664 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

If you are thinking day trip, another nice place would be Segovia, kids might really like it up there. Like Benny says, look at things to do, might find all you need right there. Good luck and have fun

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

I definitely recommend a Segway tour! Easy on the feet and gives you a rough outline of the city via recommendation of a blog I read regularly, Travel Junkie Julia:

http://bit.ly/c5JXVG

She's got great tips on Tapas and Flamenco as well!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid with teens-seeking advice on lodging and things to do

Here's the Tapas Tour video link for you:

http://bit.ly/9ifCAE