We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

my husband and I are visiting spain for 8 days and stopping in madrid for 2.5 of those. we're deciding between these two and having a hard time committing. both are four stars and relatively same price. the locations are different but i don't know enough about madrid to know which is better.

Any experiences/recommendations? We'd like to be in walking distance to the prado and reina sofia as wel as restaurants.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

Either location would be fine. Both are within easy walking distance of the Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza and Reina Sofia, as well as a number of excellent restaurants. You might be interested in downloading a copy of Maribel's Guide to Madrid for her recommendations.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

I don't know the Preciados Hotel inside, but I had some friends staying once in Catalonia Las Cortes and the value for price was great. Good rooms, good amenities and excellent location.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
944 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

i stayed at the preciados in nov. for 11 days. it was in a great area. the hotel front desk were very helpful. you can walk to chueca for some great meals. qiui k walk to sol and many other areas. rooms were quite nice. can't say enough about the place. the upstairs roomhas a beautiful deck with a lovely view if you want to spend more. there is a great wine store around the corner.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

Either one is a great choice. Preciados is in a slightly more commercial location, but it's a great hotel. I prefer the location of the Catalonia las Cortes, which is near La Plaza Santa Ana, and many good night spots, tapas bars, etc. I would find that location more relaxing and more typically Madrid. You can't go wrong either way. If the prices are the same, I'd read up on the locations in a good guide book and decide. What I like is not necessarily what you like. Both are great choices.

Madrid
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

Hotel Preciados (web: http://www.preciadoshotel.com/ ) and Hotel Catalonia Las Cortes (web: http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/ ) couldn't be more different in location.

Preciados is located on a pedestrian street just "above" the Puerta del Sol, very commercial and very touristic. The streets are often packed with people walking about. Good location, though.

Catalonia Las Cortes is in the old Huertas neighborhood, comparatively like living in a small village where the streets are narrow and much lower concentration of pedestrians. This is my favorite part of Madrid. You're downtown but it doesn't feel like it and you don't have street performers every 20 meters. I was walking these streets just yesterday/Sunday morning between 9 and 11am and I kept asking myself, "Where is everyone?" because only a few people were out taking morning walks (on Sunday, mind you) and everything was quiet except for the manual and mechanical street cleaners. This hotel is much closer to the Prado Museum and the "Triangle of Art" than the other hotel.

Enjoy your visit to Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan at.. ummm.. err.. yeah, you know where.

Edited: 12 April 2010, 08:46
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

Don't know the other hotel, but we got back from Spain last week and really enjoyed our stay at the Preciados. Lots of bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity. I can list our favorites if you like.

30 second walk to the Pl. Santo Domingo metro stop (line 2). About 1-1/2 minutes to the Callao stop (lines 3 and 5). Easy walks to Pl. Major and Pl. Sol--5 or 10 minutes.. Longer walk to the Royal Palace, but still didn't take very long. If you want to take a guided day trip to Toledo or Segovia or to wherever, there's a day tour company within a 2 minute walk. Lots of ATMs around.

7. Re: hotel preciados vs. catalonia las cortes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 05:16