We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

algarve or madrid?

nj
3 posts
Save Topic
algarve or madrid?

I am traveling to Lisbon w my significant other and was curious which destination would be the best Algarve or Madrid. What do you think?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: algarve or madrid?

Hi,

you'll probably have to define "best" in order to get a meaningful reply.

Oceanside & beach towns vs. large European capital, like night & day. What do you think might work best for your tastes?

Maybe if you've already spent time in one large city it will be time for a change of pace?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: algarve or madrid?

I vote for Madrid - always! Algarve is a nice beach but city of magnitude and energy like Madrid can hardly be compared to any other place :-) It is vibrant, elegant, full of different cultures, crazy, hectic, lively, entertaining, ROMANTIC etc etc. All of this PROVIDED it is not August in Madrid, it would scare even the ghosts (it gets empty since everyone runs out to beaches)

But Bruce is right; you have to decide first what you like..Cheers and have fun

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,813 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: algarve or madrid?

You did not say when you are going. If it is mid summer, hot time of the year, l would go to Algarve. If it is in the colder time of year, Madrid. Have fun

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: algarve or madrid?

Yes, other posters have said it all. If it's heat of summer, you want Algarve.

Other question, if it's not July or August, do you prefer city life and art, restaurants and nightlife or do you prefer a more relaxed pace of beach life?

mumbai
Level Contributor
185 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: algarve or madrid?

We were in algarve last November, it is mainly beaches,marinas and golf. A nice little place with several small towns nearby. However there are no historical sights there , nightlife is bit slow. For R&R, it is great.

For a more action packed vacation Madrid seems to be the place...I will be there early next month, but it seems quite impressive from what I see

6. Re: algarve or madrid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 05:17