We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Strike

Bloomington...
10 posts
Save Topic
General Strike

We made reservations a year ago to be in Spain starting 14 Sept flying home 29 Sept, with flights in and out of Madrid. Our plans include going from Barcelona to Madrid by train on 28 Sept. We just learned of the general strike planned for 29 Sept and we are concerned with transportation on both the 28th and 29th. Before we change our cancel our plans can anyone answer the following questions:

1. I have seen comments that taxis and buses will not run, however have not seen a comment on the metro will they also be shut down.

2. Will there be any means of getting to the airport, such as private shuttles.

3. Will the airport also be shut down and will air controllers join the strike.

4. Is there a chance that the strike could be canceled or extended.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,621 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Strike

Dahmah:

You should have no concerns for the 28th of September. Everything will be running.

The strike will not be canceled or extended. This is definite. The unions are angry with the government for lowering government salaries, so they want to show their strength and unhappiness.

I think that all transportation will be affected, although there could be minimum services on the metro.

Spain has not had a general strike in many years, so it is difficult to predict what will happen this time, during an economic crisis.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Strike

DAHMAH,

The answer to 1, 2 and 3 is - who can foretell? I certainly would not want to be a scab.

The answer to 4 is - the one day strike will go ahead and there is (I now believe as Benny) no likelihood of a continuance.

Have you tickets for this train journey on the 28th? There has been a suggestion that there might be a 'knock back' effect for travel, i.e. those that would travel on the Wednesday might now travel on the Tuesday and cause full trains.

Best wishes.

Bloomington...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General Strike

Thanks for your promt and helpful response. I am stll not sure what will be happening at the airport. Will international flights be flying. Or will the General Strike also result in the cancelation of all flights. Thank you.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Strike

I posted my question on another thread - but didn't get an answer.

I am sorry I am asking it again, and I realize that it is impossible to predict what will happen. We are flying from the states on Sept 29 and due to arrive in Madrid on Sept 30. Hopefully the strike will last only the one day and will not effect us, but wondered if anyone could give me any advice on transportation to our hotel. It seems like all forms of transportation will be affected on the 29th.... does this usually impact the private companies like Aerocity? Thank you again for any response.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Strike

joyfortravelling and DAHMAH,

As joyfortraveling seems to understand - 'it is impossible to predict what will happen', but then thinks there is something usual (it has been years) about a general strike, which is certainly not the case.

If arriving on the 30th, I strongly believe you will hardly notice anything has happened. If you arrived on the 29th, private individuals in companies might be taking the day off to avoid intimidation or many, unionised or not, might be sympathetic.

Best wishes.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 07:21
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Strike

Can I ask where you heard about this strike? We will be in Spain September 5-17 and now I'm scared that our train travel plans will be ruined!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Strike

Aflaum,

A google will give you media information.

I cannot see why you are concerned about the strike on the 29th September.

Best wishes.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Strike

Thank you Wombatt for your answer. I'm sorry I did not respond sooner.. I just noticed it. I do feel a little better about the possibility that transportation to our hotel (hopefully) will not be affected on the 30th. I will continue to watch for more information.

9. Re: General Strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 07:23