We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid or Rome?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brazil
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid or Rome?

Hello! I am a single male who is planning a trip to Europe on April/May next year. I am planning to spend one week in London, 3 days in Paris (I´ve been there once) and I want do add a third destination, that will be Madrid or Rome. Which one you would recommend?

Major interests: Architecture (old and new), Art Museums, Squares, Public Transportation, Football and options for day trips.

Thanks in advance for you recommendations!

Ostrava, Czech...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid or Rome?

Very difficult question. I was in Rome and it is a great city fulfilling your requirements.

As for Madrid it is my intention to go one day.

So you either you decide by watching atmosphere on photos or youtube videos or toss the coin.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid or Rome?

Your varied interests make the question difficult to answer. For art alone, Rome wins. I am told that 50% of Europe's art resides in Italy and 50% of that is in Rome. That said, there is a lot of art and interesting architecture in Madrid as well. I know nothing of football, but I can tell you, having visited both cities, that Madrid is underrated and is my favorite European capital. Good luck with your choice.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid or Rome?

Madrid happens to be one of my all time favourite cities.It is open, lively, tolerant, all embracing and all encompassing.The perfect amalgamation of art and commerce, here is a metropolis to love and adore with unquenchable passion.Rome on the other hand might be having an almost unequaled art and culture scene(not a patch on Florence though), with historical pith to match, but suffers from the lack of proper city infrastructure.For the millions of euros which the city generates in the form of mass tourism the visitor is rarely rewarded with quality service from it’s public utility sector.Actually there can be no favourable comparison drawn between the two cities, as both are dramatically different on practically all counts, but on making a note of your various aspects of interest, I think Rome would perhaps suit you better.Don’t get me wrong over here.

The treasures of the Eternal City are inexhaustible and going through it’s vast array of Cathedrals,imperial ruins and monuments, museums, art galleries and fountain studded piazzas could well take up a life time.Even then if asked to name a place which would rate as the most livable one in the world my choice would always lie with Madrid!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid or Rome?

Well, if you are doing "Great Capitals of Europe", I hate to admit it but Rome probably trumps Madrid on this list. Roman ruins (the Forum, Coliseum, etc.) Vatican (St. Peter's, Sistine Chapel, etc.) and other tourist sights (Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps) You're a couple hours on rapid rail from Firenze / Florence another place for all of its gems as well.

BUT Madrid gives your trip a modern spin. Estadio Bernabeu home of Real Madrid some of whose players played on the World Cup (championship) team. A real fairy-tale wedding took place in 2004 in the Cathedral (sort of modern...rather ordinary) adjacent to the Royal Palace,

a rival to Versailles (suburban Paris).

Well, flip a coin...as already suggested. Either way you can't go wrong.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid or Rome?

How long do you have for this 3rd leg of your trip?

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid or Rome?

See, you will get a different spin by posting also on the Madrid forum. Good luck on your pick, and you can't lose either way. Hubie

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid or Rome?

P.S. Does money matter? Spain will probably be slightly cheaper.

Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid or Rome?

Love Spain but in your shoes would probably choose Rome.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid or Rome?

Both are great cities and different if you havent been there but for me it was Rome over Madrid.

Architecture (old and new) - it depends on what architecture you like, i like roman architecture so it is Rome plus i can identify the ones in Rome over Madrid.

Art Museums - not a big fan only been to Reina Sofia in Madrid - fantastic

Squares - Madrid. The famous squares in Madrid are closer to walk around over Rome. In Madrid for example around the Plaza Mayor there also lots and lots of eateries and funky bars close to one another whereas in Rome the famous Squares are more spread out, making Madrid closer to walk around and still do lunch or dinner or drinks easily.

Cost - agree with Holakjs, madrid is a bit cheaper.

Edited: 15 August 2010, 02:12
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid or Rome?

www.romeinfo.com www.madrid-tourist-guide.com both cities have much to offer, so its a toss of the coin.

Paris to Madrid www.easyjet.com

Paris to Rome www.easyjet.com www.vueling.com