We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abono turistico questions

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Abono turistico questions

We're considering another trip to Madrid next March and one thing we did not do our last trip was buy one of these passes. I am thinking we should get them this time since we did travel the metro alot.

I'm wondering how it works. Is it the same kind of ticket you get for a one trip ride and put it in the ticket taker slot? Or is it something bigger in which case, how does one enter the metro?

Hoping someone out there knows. thanks much!!

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abono turistico questions

It is a ticket like the normal Metro one. You can also use buses and the Cercanias train inside Madrid. You're supposed to write your passport number or ID number on the ticket, then if you have your tickets checked by the inspectors it's a kind of proof that you're a tourist. To this I'd say make a photocopy of your passport and keep it about you as I for one wouldn't wish to carry my passport around all day (safety deposit box being the best place to keep things like that)

Cheers.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abono turistico questions

perfect! that's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure.

When you buy the ticket can you do so with a copy of your passport? I too keep my passport in a safe and not carry it with me. We did that nearly everywhere when we spent two weeks in Spain in May.

thanks so much!!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abono turistico questions

If you're arriving by plane, buy it at the airport when you'll have your passport with you. Abono turistico holders don't have to pay the supplement fare on the metro from the airport to the city.

If you want to buy it with a credit card, you have to buy it from the tourist information office at the top of the escalators by the entrance to the metro station. If you go down to the kiosks in the metro station, they will only accept cash.

I have been to Madrid twice and made good use of the card both times, but was never inspected. This is not to say it won't happen. Still, I wrote my passport number on the card as instructed both times. I really don't recall if they asked to see the passport when buying it in the tourist info office, then again it wasn't me making the purchase. I think they did require this when bought in cash inside the metro station the previous time.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abono turistico questions

thanks BayBoy!! I'm not exactly sure what we're doing but it will include Madrid. We'll either arrive from the U.S. (via Paris or Amsterdam) to Madrid or go home from Madrid.

thanks for the info, very helpful!!!

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abono turistico questions

Can you tell me if the Abono turistico ticket can be shared between two people, or is that only the T-10 ? Thank you very much.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abono turistico questions

Jason and BayBoy,

As I understand it this abono can NOT be used from AVANT (high-speed) rail that goes between Madrid-Toledo and Madrid-Segovia. Is my assumption correct?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abono turistico questions

I was fairly sure but have just found my Abono turistico pack from this year which confirms only valid on Metro, EMT (city buses), Cercanias (RENFE suburban trains) and green suburban buses. So no high speed trains. There are 2 types of pass, Zone A for Madrid city limits and Zone T for the whole Communidad de Madrid region which would include El Escorial. However the accompanying map shows Zone T extends to include Toledo as well, though not by Cercanias so guessing maybe only by suburban bus, though you'd need to check, if so this would take much longer than the high speed train

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abono turistico questions

princess1606, you'll need one Abono turistico per person

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abono turistico questions

Thanks so much for the info!

10. Re: Abono turistico questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 05:16