We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which neighbourhood?

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
which neighbourhood?

Forgot to ask which neighbourhoods are recommended to stay in as to quiet and safe?

thanks

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which neighbourhood?

Quiet...probably upscale Salamanca. Safe...in historic center in general. Neighborhoods south of that start to get more iffy. North is the upscale real estate...but that's a big generalization because there is a prostitution hang-out just north of the Gran Via.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,582 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which neighbourhood?

Haro:

The Salamanca district is the high class district just north of the Paseo de la Castellana, not far from downtown. There is no prostitucion in this barrio because very prominent people live in it and will not allow this in their neighborhood.

My favorite hotel there is the Melia Galgos, beside Calle Serrano, the main shopping street. If you register online at the Melia website for the MAS card, they charge you for only one breakfast if you are two. Has one of the best breakfast buffets in Spain!

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which neighbourhood?

Thanks so much!

but actually I am looking for an apartment that sleeps 4, 2 bedrooms.

Seems hard to find for a fwe days in that time.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which neighbourhood?

I was living in Argüelles area for a couple of years and loved it! No idea about apartments availability for a few days, but maybe you can find some close to Argüelles metro stop. You can walk to Plaza de España and to Parque del Oeste, you have 3 metro lines so anywhere else in easy to reach. Not touristy but very lively, with great shopping and dinning... OK, may I say I again I love the area? Actually I'm going to be in Madrid this weekend and I will stay in a new B&B (B&B Blasco de Garay) because it's just 100m away from my old home :)

Madrid
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: which neighbourhood?

Fully agree with Belsaita: Salamanca and Argüelles are classy, quite and safe neighborhoods, but my vote goes to Argüelles, which is much closer to Puerta del Sol and other touristic areas, really lively and plenty of good restaurants for dining.

6. Re: which neighbourhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:52