We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Auckland, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Can anyone help - I have a flight from Madrid in September and have about 5 days to spend beforehand. I don't like big cities so think I might prefer somewhere like Seville than Madrid. I am flying to Lisbon before that and from there to Spain. I don't like museums and statues etc, always feel that once you've seen one you've seen them all. I like quaint villages and walking and cafes and markets. Any suggestions please? I'm also a woman travelling on her own and want to go somewhere safe.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Dora:

I would go to Madrid. It will surprise you because there are many neighborhoods that feel like small towns. You can also take day trips to small towns. Read the top questions on the right panel.

Madrid is perfectly safe for a woman alone. Just do not go anywhere where you are the only person on the street.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Sevilla is still a big city, but it has more a small town feel than Madrid. Honestly, after living in Madrid for a few years and many visits, I have yet to find these "neighborhoods that feel like small towns" said above, I guess is a matter of perception...

You can easily spend a couple of days in Sevilla without visiting any museum and do some daytrips to the smaller towns and villages in the area (others will help better on these, I never did any daytip from Sevilla)

Both cities (as anywhere else in Spain) are safe, provided you use your common sense. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Seville is wonderful and full of character. You have the choice of staying right in the centre, in Barrio Santa Cruz, which is undoubtedly the prettiest and, therefore, the most touristy area. Or, if you want to stay in a more authentic area where the locals come and go about their daily lives and there are good food markets etc, you could try the areas of La Macarena or Arenal. All areas are perfectly safe and friendly.

Seville is also a good base from which to do day trips. You could go by train to Cordoba and Cadiz (another wonderfully charismatic city and the old part is not big) and by bus to the little village of Carmona.

We, like you, don't like museums etc but prefer being outdoors, soaking up the atmosphere etc (the Alcazar, however, is a must). We had six nights in Seville and found this to be just right. We spent two days exploring Seville itself and three days doing the day trips mentioned above.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Am with B&PT on this one, you can't go wrong at either spot but Seville would be my pick also. I have spent many trips in Andalucia and it is like a second home for me. As already said Carmona, Cadiz are very fun places to go. I also not into museums there is to much outdoors to see. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Seville, Seville, Seville.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAsoNknV0U

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 18 February 2011, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

ati, thank you for the great vidios, they were great. Hubie

Auckland, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

Thanks you've definitely helped me. I will have a look at LaMacarena, Arenal, Carmona and Cadiz. I am going to stay in Ericeira in Portugal beforehand and fly home from Madrid so will have 5 nights left to stay somewhere when I leave Portugal. I don't know whether I should stress by going all the way to Seville or whether there is another nice little town in Spain closer that I could stay in before heading home from Madrid. I am spending 2 weeks in Morocco on a tour before all of this which is why I just want to chill and get the feeling for a little local town, to me much more important than looking at buildings and landmarks. I like seaside towns and markets and love shopping but realise little towns won't have the shopping but more important to get the feeling of a place and have nice memories of somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Spain
Spain
Europe
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Burniston
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

I was in Madrid June last year and loved it! There was lots of things to do and see.

I came originally from London but now live in Yorkshire and normally would avoid cities etc but found Madrid to have something for all.

I would advise to get a tour map telling you of the sites etc are as you are only there a short time and it will avoid waisting time.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
berkshire, england
Level Contributor
539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

I love Seville, and would happily recommend it to anyone.

However, if you are looking for somewhere "off the beaten track" then you should also look at Caceres in Extremadura. I believe the overnight train from Lisbon to Madrid stops there, or you can take the bus to Badajoz and change there. You can then get a train back to Madrid.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Caceres is much smaller than Seville, to the point where I'm not sure what there would be to occupy you for 5 days. It should be fairly easy to take a bus to Trujillo (an amazing little town) and Merida (Roman remains).

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
10. Re: should I stay in Madrid or Seville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 00:17