We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch spot near the Prado

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
87 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch spot near the Prado

Need suggestions for a casual and modest-priced lunch place near the Prado with a good view and/or good people watching. Friendly staff and any type of good food is a plus.

Or, would a picnic in Retrio Park be an option (March 8th)? I'm not sure it wouldn't be too cool. If a picnic is a good idea, where might I find picnic fare?

Thanks in advance.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,189 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

Redfish:

For picnic fare, go to any bar and look at what tapas they have on the counter. You can tell them to wrap whatever you choose, such as tortilla, to go. You can also buy bottles of wine or other drinks there. If you do not mind the cold, El Retiro is very close to the Prado.

If you do not mind walking, walk to the intersection of Calle Serrano and Calle Goya. There is a small mall called Jardines de Serrano there, and in the basement there is a cafeteria with good food. Not expensive.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

A good option is 'Maceiras', an atmospheric Galician tavern. Delicious rice. I encourage you to try the 'pulpo' (octopus).

esmadrid.com/en/…

Also, 'El Azul de Fúcar' is a cool place to relax after visiting the Prado. It's located at Calle Fúcar 5.

spottedbylocals.com/madrid/el-azul-de-fucar/

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

Directly across the Paseo from the Prado's Murillo entrance is La Plateria, a nice cafe, with good food and outdoor seating perfect for people-watching.

A little way down the Paseo is a branch of Museo del Jamon, with plenty to eat and crowded with locals so good for indoor people-watching. This is also a good place to buy picnic food if the weather suits.

Further down, near Atocha and the Reina Sofia if you are headed that way, is the Cafe Brillante, a lunchtime experience not to be missed. Their Bocadillo de Calamares is famous, justly so.

Maceiras, as Revulgo suggests has two branches, in calle de Huertas and around the corner in Plaza de Jesus about five minutes' walk away, is great; and nearby in Plaza de Jesus is Cerveceria Cervantes, one of my favourite places for indoor people-watching.

If it's raining, or if you haven't finished looking at paintings, another possibility is to stay in the Prado, which has an excellent cafe for a decent sit-down lunch, and a bar where you can get drinks, bocadillos, sandwiches and pastries. That's what I usually do.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 08:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

The time to edit my post expired...don't know why, it only took me a minute or so to write the below. ;-(

It said:

At the lower end of the Paseo, near Atocha and the Reina Sofia, if you're headed that way, is the Cafe Brillante, a lunchtime experience not to be missed. Their Bocadillo de Calamares is justly famous.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

It might be chilly for a picnic. Besides one of the best things in Madrid is soaking the atmosphere and you'll mist that in a picnic.

There are lots of places nearby. Revulgo's Maceiras is great. I also recommend it.

Have fun.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

Great responses, and MacPollo is right...March isn't usually picnic weather.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
87 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

Thanks to you all for the great advice. After a wonderful visit to the Prado we, on our way to Atocha, visited the Cafe Brillante as advised. It was a beautiful day and warm enough to sit outside and enjoy a cerveza and a wonderful Bocadillo de Calamares. Thanks again to all!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
11 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

Picnic stuff is always a good reason to visit the foodhalls of the various Cortes Ingles stores scattered round the city where you will find all you need. Step just off the Prado circuit around the area of the lower house of the Spanish parliament (Congresso de Diputacios) and you will find a range of decent, good value eateries. Try: Cafe Galdos, Los Madrazo 10 - nice place for breakfast or lunch and does a very good cheap menu del dia and offers after works drinks deals. Abaco at Jovellanos 6 - excellenf family restaurant. Sagardi at Jovellanos 3 - try the basement for lunchtime Basque pintxos or the main restaurant if after something more formal. Nostra Pizza in the same street does usual pizzeria fare very well. If you want an experience of very trad Spanish restaurant atmosphere, Edelweiss is on the corner - white jackets, linens and a lot of courtesy sadly let down by the (very) tired Austrian menu, it is a bit like steppinbg back in time in culinary terms. Popular with Parliamentarians with paunches and a liking for pork knuckle. Casa Manolo is a better bet - stand at the terrace and get some of the best croquettas in Madrid. If money is no object, the garden of the Ritz directly across from the ticket hall is an option.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
612 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

And, don't forget there is a perfectly lovely cafe/cafeteria in the Prado. They had everything from fresh fruits to any drink possible including beer, sandwiches, snacks, full meals. The atmosphere is a clean cafeteria but if the weather is iffy, or one finds oneself starving hungry, feet too tired to move another step- this is a fine option. Meanwhile- I am a huge fan of bocadilla de Calamares. I had it everyday for lunch. After the first day, I stopped ordering the bocadilla and went straight for the ratione size serving (double sized calamares w half the bread). I dream of those tasty rings.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch spot near the Prado

I have to put a plug in for Maceiras as well. One of my very favorites. But Ceveceria Alemana has gone downhill in my opinion.