We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saffron

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Saffron

Hi, this may be a stupid question - but can i buy Saffron and take it on the plane ?

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saffron

i've done it in the past (i get mine at the casa de miel on calle atocha) and never had a problem going to the US but now that you ask it occurs to me i have no idea what the policies are. i think it's not a problem. i know you can bring cheese. i know you CANNOT bring any meat products at all of any kind despite the fact that they sell them in the duty free sections of the airport. i don't know the policies going to Canada, but i know the US is extremely strict about the meat policy. We've always declared it and never had a problem.

The US policy is available here: cbp.gov/xp/…agri_prod_inus.xml and it does not seem to contain information about spices specifically. I am sure Canada has similar policies. You'd probably ought to check first with your government and see though.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,958 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saffron

I often bring dried herbs back from my trips and have had no problems entering Canada. Last year, I also brought saffron. I don't usually put it in the carry-on (that precious space is often reserved for things I'll need during the flight).

Be careful about meat and dairy products. I believe those can only be brought into Canada from the USA, not Europe.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 13:36
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saffron

thank you!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saffron

I will only be in Madrid for the day so i will be taking it on my carry on. I will have no check in luggage. thanks for your reply,

Lori

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saffron

Lori:

You can buy saffron at any supermarket. They also sell it at a higher price at airport stores.

When I lived in California, I always brought saffron from Spain every year and never had any problem taking it into the US.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saffron

great, thank you very much. saffron and chocolate covered figs it is!

Lori

madrid
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saffron

I think it is about time to let people know that very few restaurants use saffron any more. At more than 3000 euros per kilogram only the Michelin starred or close use it. Whenever you see a strong yellow colour keep in mind that is not saffron but Tartrazine. whenever I start working with a new restaurant I persuade it to stop using Tartrazine and use Curcumin instead which is natural and has no side efects.

As for Saffron I read a very interesting article at:

madridman.com/blog-madrid/…

8. Re: Saffron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 15:31
9. Re: Saffron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 15:31
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saffron

thank you. good to know. good article.

Lori