We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy in Spain!

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
What to buy in Spain!

What are the values I cannot get in the USA?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy in Spain!

Before purchasing anything check the list of prohibited and restricted items by U.S. customs

cbp.gov/xp/…prohibited_restricted.xml

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy in Spain!

Rabitos are chocolate covered figs that are delicious. You can buy this at El Corte Ingles and other stores.

Azafran (saffron) for those who like to cook.

Fashionable Spanish shoes are comfortable and are a good buy. I would add anything that is made of leather too, such as bags, leather jackets.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy in Spain!

Convent sweets!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c105093/Madri…

south western...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy in Spain!

Leather shoes and boots!

But don't try and bring home any of that tasty Iberian ham. We flew through the US and they were very strict on bringing in food. They had dogs sniffing our luggage, then a special x-ray machine that can detect food.

Olives and olive oil are ok as long as they are well packaged.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to buy in Spain!

ceramics!! there is a terrific place run by a woman who has to be 158 years old (clearly i exaggerate) on Calle Echegaray between Calle Prado and Calle Huertas. She sells gorgeous ceramics for actual use (not just for walls), everything from cazuelas to platters.

also marzipan (especially from the convents). if you go to Toledo hit the Café de las Monjas for treats. another yummy is turron (not the season at all, but the sweets shops still have it).

nuts are wonderful to bring home, especially Spanish almonds.

watch out with the leather that you are buying good quality Spanish leather instead of low quality imported stuff. (a lot comes from north africa right now and falls apart within days).

and if you do shop at Corte Ingles, stop at the customer service desk and show them your passport to get a 10% discount on most things in the store.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to buy in Spain!

Thank you we are going to Toledo and I will check it out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to buy in Spain!

Marzipan (mazapan) - the best in the world. In Madrid, Casa Mira in carrera San Jeronimo. In Toledo, Santo Tome (two branches, one in the main plaza, the other near Santo Tome church). Santo Tome is less expensive than Casa Mira, and just as good, so if you are going to Toledo, buy it there.

madrid
Level Contributor
228 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to buy in Spain!

I would buy a bottle of thujone containing absinthe. I think it is not available in the USA. Just think how much you can surprise your visits with it. By the way it pairs to perfection with Redbull.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
200 posts
697 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to buy in Spain!

If you are interested in this kind of thing and have room in your checked luggage, check out the swords and knives when in Toledo, amazing stuff and quite inexpensive compared to the US.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to buy in Spain!

The sword thing. One of my students bought a sword and tried to take in carry-on? Do you think the Madrid security was near hysterical. Swords must be wrapped specially at the store and, of course, in checked...not carry-on.