We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - where should I go outside Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Help - where should I go outside Madrid

I need some advice. I get in early Friday morning (july 29th) and fly out Monday morning (Aug 1st). I'm looking to spend the weekend somewhere outside of Madrid. I have already visited Madrid. I have to be back in Madrid monday morning to catch a flight to France; so most likely Sunday night will be in Madrid.

Where should I spend long weekend?

P.S. I like history, people watching etc. I'm not looking to lounge on a beach. I want to see stuff!. Also - i've been to Toledo.

Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

1travel:

Why not go to Segovia? Check the Segovia forum page for all the things you can see there. You can take the high speed train.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

Been to Toledo. Segovia is more fun, IMO. Toledo has so much to see that it can get stressful if you want to see all. Segovia...you will see it all and maybe even enjoy a special meal.

One recommendation: Ask the people at the tourism office how to get to park to see the post card view of the castle. Do this for a picnic lunch or end of day...after you've seen the sights, etc. If you feel lazy, you could get a taxi to it.

Also can see the moat of the castle there.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

One of my daytrips(?) from Madrid was to Salamanca and spent the night there. It was worth it to see Salamanca day and at nigh. Night had a magical feel to it and their Plaza Mayor is much better than Madrid.

I think it is the best over night trip from Madrid anyone could have.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

Segovia or Sevilla; the latter would take a bit longer on the train perhaps, but both are worthwhile destinations for a short stay.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

What do folks think about me renting a car....

- Friday morning (arrive and rent car at airport) - drive to Salamanca - which is the farther...spend the night in Salamanca.

- Saturday - work my way to Segovia - spend a night.

- Sunday - work my way to Madrid aiprot - spend night at airport to catch 8am flight to France.

I would then have flexibility to see Avila and El Escorial.

Thoughts?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

Taking a trip to Avila or Segovia as this time is year is a good plan. Higher altitude, somewhat cooler.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

That idea sounds great, these are places that are fun to be at and you will not at all get bored, go for it. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

8. Re: Help - where should I go outside Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:17