We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

I just wanted go add this information, as I thing these tours from the tourism office get overlooked sometimes, as many people do the sandmans free tours ( but at a tip of 10 euros) the Madrid tourism seems like a bargain at 3.90 euros for the walking tours!

www.esmadrid.com/descubremadrid_en/portal.do…

Hope this helps plan a nice, inexpensive walking tour for those on a budget, like me

**yesi

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

yesi:

Good idea, and they are in English too.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

And I am sure their guides are trained, certified, and officially recognized. The "free", tip only tours...not so much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

Hi, I have booked the Sandmans free tour and was quite looking foward to it. You mention the guides are not trained,certified. It worrys me a bit, I dont mind paying for a good tour but booked this one on the back of mostly good reviews. Now ive read your post im a little more hesitant. Please can you advise have you been on one of these tours or is it something you have heard that makes you say this?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

No, I have not gone on one of the Sandman's tour (I don't even know if I have the name correctly), but from what I understand, the tours may be OK or not OK, but other tour guides in Madrid have to undergo some certification or qualifying procedures. Not so with S's tours. If you would go to a doctor, lawyer, etc. who just stuck out his/her sign, then it wouldn't bother you to patronize a tour guide who has done the same. I support professional certification procedures...teachers, CNAs, MDs, etc. etc. and that is basically my stand. This does not mean that tours you booked are "bad"...I just like to support national and/or local standards of professionalism

You may find this link helpful.

tripadvisor.com/…17842495

Edited: 16 August 2011, 13:17
Nashville
Level Contributor
181 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

Thanks for this tip!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

Free or 3.90 Euros (why not 4 euro and keep the 0.10 euro as a tip) does sound awfully cheap to me. They might be certified but are they experience? You can be certified as much as you want and still be a bad tour guide that gives bad tours. If I want information I can Google it. If I want to go on a tour, I want the flavor, insights, the emotional feel of the place long ago and not dates and facts.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

Hello Benny!

I agree, these are a great way for the tourism of Madrid to promote the beautiful city!

You are very welcome TNexplorer! and to all who this may help :)

8. Re: Walking tours from Madrid Tourism Office

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 23:18