We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food purchase on Renfe

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
616 posts
461 reviews
Save Topic
Food purchase on Renfe

We will be traveling on the first train from Madrid to Barcelona. We are leaving too early to partake of the breakfast at our hotel. We need to eat on a semi-schedule, so does the train sell food. If not, is one allowed to bring food on the trains.

Thanks so much

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

There is a buffet car selling standard rail fare (sandwiches, snacks etc) on the train. If you are travelling preferente or club class, a meal is included in the ticket price.

Of course you can take your own food and drink on board, many travellers do so.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 22:04
Manchester
Level Contributor
142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

When I've taken the AVE, Car 1 (Coche 1) is for 'Club', 2 & 3 'Preferente' - both include food and drink at your seat (check web discounts on Renfe site) and the Sala Lounge at the station, again ticket includes complimentary drinks and snacks (if open that early!). The next car is the 'Restaurant' one for the 'Turista' cars behind it. Hot drinks, snacks, alcohol!

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

Hello,

Great question!

Does anyone know the prices of renfe's food specially in the trenhotel dining room?

Thanks again and sorry for highjacking your thread :)

Yesi

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,494 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

I would bring my own sandwiches and just go to the cafeteria for coffee and other drinks.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

The prices on the train are roughly the same as prices in any train station. About 3€-5€ for a bocadillo and a couple € for a bag of chips/nuts etc. The coffee is very passable though. I would probably grab breakfast though at Atocha. There are a couple decent cafés in the station itself which serve a decent bollo (pastry) or pan tostada and coffee for a few €.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
616 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

Great information. Thank you all for responding.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

Thank you wombat & benny for the info...greatly appreciated!

ill be in the night train, so im not sure about dinner, is there anywhere decent to eat dinner in the station, or am i better off taking some cheese,bread,wine & iberico and making a little "in train" picnic :)

i'd love to dine in the dinning room of the train, just not sure if its too expensive...

Thanks again to both!

2 week to go! :)

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

On the Paris-Madrid or Paris-Barcelona overnight 'trainhotels', a starter in the restaurant car costs 7-8 euros, a main course 16-18 euros, dessert 4-5 euros, a half bottle of wine 8 euros.

The dinner, wine, coffee and liqueurs is included in the Gran Clase sleeper fare, extra for Preferente and Turista sleeper passengers.

Alternatively, there's a cafe-bar or two at Austerlitz station in Paris.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

Thank you so much for the prices, im going from Madrid to Lisbon (not in Grand Class), I assume the prices to be about the same, which is not too bad.

Is there anywhere decent to eat in Chamartin station before getting on the train?

Thanks again!

Yesi

10. Re: Food purchase on Renfe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 20:20