We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

madrid vs barcelona

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
madrid vs barcelona

I am trying to decide whether to see Madrid or Barcelona for about 3 days after a trip to Canary Islands (Lanzarote)

california
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: madrid vs barcelona

It would help if you tell us what you like and what you expect from either place...but ultimately that's a question that only you can answer.

They both have must see's Madrid has the prado museum and the reina Sofia, the palace tapas bars

Barcelona has the works of the amazing architect Gaudi, the sagrada familia, the gothic qtr...

Yesi

USA
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: madrid vs barcelona

Oh no. You've asked The Question. I will admit my bias upfront: I love Barcelona. Adore Barcelona. I'll make my 3rd trip in a few months, staying for a month. I've not been to Madrid yet, though I'm looking forward to my first trip right before Barcelona.

What are your interests? Art? History? Food? Architecture? Nightlife? Your interests will be the best determinants for which of these two great cities (one I know is great, one I assume is great) is best for you.

ETA: Hi Yesi! So excited that your trip is coming soon, and looking forward to your reports as I head off in November!

Edited: 30 August 2011, 04:32
california
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: madrid vs barcelona

Hi oopsy!!!

You know I admid that at 1st when researching my trip I fell in love with barcelona!

But the more I researched Madrid, I found soo many things I had to do and see that you don't get in Barcelona!

To see Picasso's Guernica in the reina Sofia, a tapas crawl, the prado etc etc... I could not decide between them I needed to go to both!

I will most certainly do a trip review! I've read so many, can't wait to write my own! :)

Yesi

USA
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: madrid vs barcelona

I am so very very looking forward to seeing Guernica!

For me, I'm sure Barcelona has an edge because I went there first. I've now spent 22 days there and can't seem to get enough. But I am so looking forward to Madrid. The art. The food. The vibe. I'll have 5 days there. I'm guessing it won't be my last trip there.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: madrid vs barcelona

I think both cities are enchanting, each with its own personality. You can see one city now and in the future see the other.

Vina del Mar, Chile
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: madrid vs barcelona

If you only have 3 days to visit you will have to choose one, and if i have to do.... I decide Barcelona... there are very different places, same country completely different citties but with a lot common things... You will find a wonderfull architecture, tapas and nigthlife in both of cities....

This is Spain .... Same but different...

Madrid will offer you all the art of the big museums, but you will lost the charming of Barna (Barcelona), that it´s more cosmopolitan....I think....

Whatever you choose, you will be succesful...Because there are 2 big citties with a lot of things to offer you....

Definitely you have to came both of it.... and to other many nice, great and wonderful cities that we have....

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: madrid vs barcelona

Visit the city that is easier for you to get from the Canary Island, money or time wise. You cannot go wrong visiting either one, so you cannot make the wrong choice here.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: madrid vs barcelona

I love world class art museums so I would choose Madrid. Although I have to say the Picasso museum in Barcelona was amazing for me. If you're not into art museums choose Barcelona. there is no right answer to this age old question, both are world class cities.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: madrid vs barcelona

The advantage of Madrid is that there is a very wide choice of day trips available. Read the top questions.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: madrid vs barcelona

I agree with Bill. Visit the easier for you to get.