We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

Just to get an idea of prices in Spain I would like to know the cost of a cup of coffee (cafe con leche) and NOT at a Starbucks.

Prices of other "necessities" are welcome.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

Anywhere from 1 to 1.5 Euros, in my experience so far... (at the bar).

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

Some more: Metro ride is now 1.5 Euros, but you can get a ticket w/ 10 rides for 9.3 Euros. It costs .8 Euro to buy a postage stamp for a postcard to the US. The 3-course lunch "menu del dia" ranges from 8 to 14 Euros. If you purchase a Coke at a nice sidewalk cafe, it will cost 3 Euros. The Prado museum entrance is 8 Euros. A baguette of bread costs about 1.15 Euros. I paid 3 Euros to send a fax to the US at a local stationary store. Clothes and men's shoes are unusually expensive (Nike running shoes: 140 Euros).

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

Thank you very much. It's the information I was looking for!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

Hilldale, great avatar.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

That avatar somehow appeared without my consent, but glad you like it.

Orange Walk, Belize
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

A "desayuno en el bar" a cup of cafe conleche and a pan dulce cost me 2.1 euros while my friend who bought them separate and ate them outside paid 4 euros for the exact same things

also i found that in some places a coke at a sidewalk cafe can cost up to 4 euros

a coke in a shop is about 1 euro or less depending on where the shop is located

the 10 ride metro ticket can be passed from one member of the family or travelling group to another but is not good for the bus, urban buses are 1.20

we bought a ticket that includes all zones and buses for 50 euros for a week it is a pase turistico it is half that for children under 12

hilldale pretty much covers it all - GOOD JOB there!

7. Re: Cost of a cup of coffee... and other things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 14:17