We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Granada

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Granada

Can we take the bullet train on New Year's Day? How long is the trip?

Wondering if train runs on New Year's Day?

thanks.

Casa

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Granada

Casa:

There is only the slow train to Granada because the AVE to Granada has not been built yet. All trains run normally during holidays.

From Madrid it is best to take the bus.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Granada

I assume bus will run on Jan. 1 also?? Should I get tickets ahead of time? If so, what site do I use?

Thanks,

Casa

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Granada

Casa:

http://granadainfo.com/granadatravel.htm

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Granada

I think BennyMalaga means take the local Madrid city bus to Atocha station to catch the train to Granada. Madrid-Granada is far too long a journey for a mere bus, buses are for short rides within each city.

There are excellent spacious air-conditioned 'Altaria' trains between Madrid and Granada, you can check times and prices and book online at the Spanish Railways website www.renfe.com.

Fares start at around 30 euros in 'Turista' with a cheap 'web' fare if you pre-book, but if you can stretch to 'Preferente' (first class) you get access to the Sala Club (VIP lounge) in Madrid Atocha with free tea, coffee, snacks and beer, and your fare includes a hot tray meal with wine, coffee and liqueurs served at your seat.

Sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the excellent Spanish scenery. Wonderful!

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Granada

Man in Seat-

Do the trains run on Jan. 1?

Thanks for clarification on bus and train-was wondering.

The train ride you describe is what we have in mind.

Thanks,

Casa

6. Re: Madrid to Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:16