We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport T4 to Sol

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
65 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Airport T4 to Sol

I read that there is a new RENFE cercanais line from Madrid airport that can take you from Madrid airport T4 to Sol in 10 minutes. Any idea whether this line is operation?

If not, what is the best way to get from Sol metro station to T4?

ODR
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
256 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

Yes it is already working, but you have to make a transfer in Nuevos Ministerios as line C1 does not go to SOL. It is an easy one, just to change platforms. Trains run every 30 minutes.

You can also do it in metro. There are several options, I would do line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios, line 10 to Tribunal and finally line 1 to Sol. It might be faster than RENFE, but I would take only with light luggage.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
65 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

Thanks for your reply, ODR. Do I have to buy two different types of train tickets (one for metro and one for renfe line C1?) Can I use the Metrobus (10-tickets) for my journey to the airport?

If I'm carrying heavy luggage, is it better to take a metro from Sol to Cibeles and change to airport bus?

FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

Cercanías (C1) and Metro tickets are not compatible, so in case that you plan to change from one network to the other (for example, by taking the subway to Nuevos Ministerios and then changing to the Cercanías to Sol) you will need to buy separate tickets.

Metrobus is valid for getting to/from the airport by subway, but you will need to pay a €1 supplement to, as Barajas airports stations are one of the few of the network in which a special fare applies. There are machines at the airport to uy this supplement.

If you are carrying heavy luggage, the best alternative (appart from the taxi) is taking the Cercanías C1 line at T4 to Nuevos Ministerios, and transfer there to any other of the Cercanías lines that go to Sol (just one stop ahead from Nuevos Ministerios). In that case, you only need one Cercanías ticket, that will cost you no more of € 3. Cercanías trains are more comfortable than subway, you will usually find empty seats, transfers are easy and all stations and trains are handicaped friendly, which is great when travelling with luggage (you will always find escalators and elevators).

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
65 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

FBV, thanks for your reply. I think I will take your advice and take the Cercanais train to Sol, changing at Nuevos Ministerios. I guess it will be easier for us with our heavy luggage bags.

Do we need to change platform at Nuevos Ministerios?

FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

You're welcome! I don't remember if you need to change platforms at Nuevos Ministerios or both trains use the same platform. In any case, that would be a very easy change, as Nuevos Ministerios has just 4 platforms and are all at the same level. Signs clearly indicate trains that go to Sol but, in case that you have doubts, ask anyone there and they will help you.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

I don't know if you need to change platforms in Nuevos Ministerios, Anyway, switch to line C3 (direction Aranjuez) or C4 (direction Parla).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

Per the original poster:

<< a new RENFE cercanais line from Madrid airport that can take you from Madrid airport T4 to Sol in 10 minutes >>

Really? in 10 minutes?

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
65 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

FBV & Revulgo, thanks for replying. Much appreciated!

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

I read on this forum a couple of weeks ago that there is a new service, train or metro, that goes from the airport to centro (no transfers).

I'm somewhat confused about the dfferent options (shuttle bus, metro, train). I will need to get from the airport to Sol.

Thank you.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport T4 to Sol

"Really? in 10 minutes?"

I think this comes from the new edition of "Timeout Shortlist -Madrid"

"Train from the airport

The new RENFE Cercanías line from the airport was still being built when this guide went to print. Once completed, in 2011, it will take you from T4 to Sol in ten minutes"

I appreciate the info given above, as I'm not good on the metro, and doesn't look like there are any buses that go from the airport direct to Sol?

Booked an apartment for a week in May next year, so really looking forward to visiting. I'll be catching up with repeat viewings of my favourite Almodovar flicks before I go..

Thanks again for the Cercanías details from the airport to Sol.