We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Madrid to Granada

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Madrid to Granada

Which one-sorry but a bit confused?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

Hi again Casamurray,

I'm a bit confused too. Do you mean which train? Or which station?

Anyway, I did a dummy search for trains on Nov. 15:

Departure point: Madrid (*)

Destination: Granada

09218 Altaria 9:05 - 13: 30

09234 Altaria 17:05-21:37

If you click on the Train/Route (ie 09218), you'll get the list of train stations. This train departs Madrid from Puerta de Atocha station and arrives at Granada station. If you click on Prices, you'll get a list of prices but these may not be the DISCOUNTED ones. You can see the discounts on venta.Renfe.com. Make sure to read the article on Renfe and register (set up an account) first.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

Gigis-Gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

Gigi-have been busy lately and did not look at schedules until this evening. I do not see 09218 at 9:05-only the 09234 at 17:05-does this mean already booked?

Thanks

Casa

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

What DATE are you looking for? I checked from Nov.15-22 and every day, there are those 2 runs. Perhaps you didn't input a date in the future and you were only looking at the current date? In which case, the morning train had already left.

PS. Even if a train is fully sold, it would still show up on a schedule.

Edited: 22 October 2011, 15:25
florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

Gigis-realized I forgot to list date-Jan. 1, 2012 Maybe due to holiday-only one train? I also did not see where to register. Thanks for helping

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

Dec 31 and Jan 1 both show only one train, but before and after those dates, Renfe is showing 2 trains. Must be due to the holiday season.

When you are in the Renfe website and looking at train schedules, click on "Purchase". You will be re-directed to the website venta.Renfe.com. That's where you'll see the Registration box.

Pls make sure to read the Top Question on Renfe and follow the instructions.

dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

Would it be easier ? to travel Madrid-Cordoba by fast train (multiple departures, almost every hour (1 hr. 50 mins.), and then Cordoba-Granada by train (dep. 11:10 hrs. and 19.09 hrs.), travel time 2 hr 20 mins, or by bus ? instead of the 8 hrs. Mad-Gra

Just a thought.

TxN

Madrid
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

We just arrived in Madrid from Granada via the train. It was a pleasant journey. This is not the super fast train on this route and we found only two a day. There were plenty of seats available. We tried to buy on line at the Renfe site to no avail. Found a Renfe office on Zargoza Street in the Cathdral area. They say it is impossible to buy them on line. Atocha Station in Madrid is amazingly modern. Spain is a delight. We were at the Alhambra today, just a must see, but buy tickets in advance on line.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

I attempted to register and had trouble when it came to my address-USA not listed.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Madrid to Granada

TxnacO,

Where do you get the "8hrs Mad-Gra" from? From the schedule listed in post #1, it's only 4 hrs 30 min or so.

I also hope to be taking advantage of the great Renfe connections to travel Malaga-Granada-Cordoba-Madrid and onwards.