We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

I'm still unsure if there is a direct train from T4 to Sol with the Cercanias train.

Any info about this will be appreciated.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

The experts should verify this soon, but I am fairly certain that there is no such train. I have never seen one. You can get to Sol by taking the Metro with two changes, a bus fairly near, or a taxi. I always use the metro, but if you are carrying a lot of luggage it will not be for you since you will have to climb some stairs and make two changes. Travel safe.

dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

"Cercanias" train goes directly to Atocha station, from T4.

But there is the Airport Express bus ( only yellow buses), from T2 and T4, that will take you to Cibeles (plaza de espana metro station), and Atocha train station; 2 Euros, 30 mins/day (or 20 mins/night) travel time.

TxN

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

I was told by a local that the best bet is to use the subway to airport. Which I did.

For you at the airport you start with Line 8 and take it to the last stop Nuevos Ministerios. Then pickup the Line 10 in the direction to Puerta Del Sur and get off Tribunal. Tribunal will be the third stop. Then look for the Line 1 in the direction of Valdecarros and in two stops is SOL. It is important to know the train line you want and know the direction it is going as then you will know what platform to catch your train.

While this might sound a stressful it is not. The only hard part is at SOL and Tribunal as there areas that only have stairs and you will have to carry your suitcases. Also you will not be alone as I saw plenty of travelers with suitcases rides these trains.

After I found out how easy this train ride is to do from SOL to the airport, I not going to take a taxis anymore unless I find a strong reason to get one and even stronger reason to pay huge cost in euros for a taxi compare to the inexpensive subway ticket.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,195 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

Pesh,

There was a thread last week about the same subject. I read it several times because I was confused too. :-) Here it is again. It contains some useful information from DEs Revulgo and FBV.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187514-i126-k4890…

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

I'd check the thread that Gigi's mum recommends. We have taken the Cercanias from Nuevos Ministerios to Sol. There are escalators and elevators at NM but at Sol, the Cercanias line is one level below..and a short flight of stairs. If you want to go to Atocha, you can that from NM but on a different track. Follow instructions given of cited link OR check Top Questions on Right Hand side of page.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 00:33
6. Re: Cercanias train from Airport to Sol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 04:17