We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

I read the great guide that's posted on TripAdvisor, but I'm still not having any luck purchasing Renfe tickets online. I've tried using both a Visa and a Mastercard- neither will work. (both have been cleared for international purchases). I get the G001 error message. When I called my credit card companies, both companies told me that they can't even see any attempts being made by Renfe to charge the card.

I'm trying to purchase 2 one way tickets from Madrid to Avila on Nov 22, then Segovia to Madrid on the same day (we're going to take a bus from Avila to Segovia mid day). I'm also trying to purchase 2 roundtrip Madrid-Toledo tickets for Nov 23.

A rep from Mastercard called the International number for Renfe and was told that tickets cannot be purchased over the phone. I'm not arriving to Madrid until Nov 21. I really wanted to purchase my train tickets ahead of time because I know the trains sell out in advance. I'm nervous now. Help!

Edited: 02 November 2011, 18:19
florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

I kept trying over and over again and finally did.

Did you register yourself as TA recommended?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

Are you using the right browser? A few wks ago, I noticed that I got the G001 error whenever I used Firefox but not Explorer.

And, as the very happy Casamurray has mentioned, if you set up an account and REGISTER FIRST, it may work.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

Buy the tickets when you get there. I gave up on the Renfe site. I had no trouble getting tickets and were not a lot more expensive that the online price.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,662 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

suven:

If all else fails, ask a close friend to try to buy the tickets for you on his/her computer, using his/her card. I used to work as a programmer before and many times I could not make a program work. When I asked a friend to try it, I was always surprised how easy it was to make the program work. Sometimes we have a blind side that others do not.

Keep trying because perseverance is the key to success. Will pray for you to succeed!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

Hello Everyone- thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

Yes, I did register myself and I use the "correct" version of Explorer. Hopefully since I'm traveling during off-peak season, it will be easy to purchase tickets when I arrive in Madrid. Is it possible to buy Renfe tickets at the Barajas airport? It would be great if I could do that upon arrival!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

I could finally book when I figured out that you can't put dashes in the phone number.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,662 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

suven:

There are Renfe ticket offices at T1 and T4.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions! I just wanted to give you an update. My Madrid-Avila/Segovia-Madrid tickets have been purchased. Not by me. One of my credit cards offers a "concierge" service. Through their international affiliates, they were able to get someone in Madrid to purchase the tickets for me. That person had to physically go to a station to buy the tickets. The Madrid agent was told (I assume by Renfe?) that the renfe website just won't accept international credit cards.

After the tickets had been purchased, I learned that I was charged a premium for that service (ouch!), but they did email me a PDF of my tickets, so I suppose I'm all set now. It appears that my two backwards facing seats are the only ones booked for the entire section of the train, lol!

I'm not buying my Toledo tickets until I arrive in Madrid.

Again, I want to express my "THANKS" to everyone who replied and tried to help me!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

Suven,

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear you got your tickets. Just for the record, it's NOT TRUE that Renfe doesn't accept int'l credit cards. They DO accept int'l credit cards.

USA
Level Contributor
89 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trouble purchasing Renfe tickets online- please help!

Yeah speaking from personal experience they most certainly do take international credit cards, you just need to have the extra security codes as an option with your bank.