We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Madrid

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in Madrid

Hello. We are two retired American women who will be spending 4 nights in Madrid. We are not interested in partying at night. We want to be near (walking distance or short public transport ride) museums and historical sights, a variety of restaurants, but be safe. We are thinking of renting an apartment from either friendly rentals or spain select. We need a 2BR, 2BA place. Any and all suggestions would be most welcome!! Also, would anyone recommend a one-day trip to Toledo? this will be our first time in Spain, and I speak some Spanish.

Nuremberg, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

Hi =) I'm a business traveller in Madrid, staying at a serviced apartment provided by capitalco. It is my first week with them, their service was good so far, so were the apartments. Theyh are all central located, in shopping district, Salamanca.. I think it'd be also goo dto rent as a tourist.. I say check their rates& apartments. Enjoy your time here....

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

Spain Select has been warmly recommended here many times. They have several apartments in the Cortes area, which would be closest to the museums and walking distance from everything else you might want to see.

This one, for example, is a stone's throw from the Prado:

spain-select.com/en_US/…moratin

Salamanca is a nice, upscale area, but if you stayed there you'd be dependent on public transport.

A day trip to Toledo would be wonderful!

Edited: 17 December 2011, 07:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

PS I don't think you'll have an easy time finding an apartment with two bathrooms. If that is a necessity, it would make sense to consider getting two rooms instead. Two rooms in a hostal would not cost more than an apartment. I can recommend the Hostal Gonzalo, where I've happily stayed on seven or eight visits. It's clean, comfortable, and on a quiet street five minutes walk from the Prado and even closer to the Thyssen; and the friendly English-speaking owners are always helpful. All the rooms have private bathrooms. It's on the third floor, and there is a lift (not always the case in apartments, and this might be important to you).

For evening meals, you may be dependent on tapas places, which stay open all afternoon and evening - most restaurants don't start serving until 9 pm, and you are probably used to eating earlier. There are lots of tapas places in the immediate vicinity, as well as restaurants. And there are cafes where you can have breakfast.

http://www.hostalgonzalo.com/

A hostal is not the same as a hostel. Hostals are small, family-run hotels.

As this will be your first visit to Spain, I think you might be better off in a hostal (or a hotel) than in an apartment. There is the considerable advantage of having help and advice at hand when you need it.

Second thoughts about a day trip to Toledo. If you have four nights in Madrid, you've got only three full days. That's the minimum for seeing something of Madrid, especially if you want to visit the museums. Toledo is wonderful, but so is Madrid, and two days isn't going to give you enough time there.

Edited: 17 December 2011, 08:06
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

I'd also recommend the trip to Toledo (one of my favorites!). Another rental agency to try is mad4rent and madapart. Both have apartments in and round the Plaza Santa Ana/Cortes area which is close to museums. I agree 2 beds and 2 baths is going to be difficult to find and also rather expensive. Enjoy your trip!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

A day trip to Segovia or Toledo would be wonderful. Hubie

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

"We are not interested in partying at night."

Ok but you should still go out at night and enjoy yourself. Maybe you should do a Tapas Tour to get you out of your comfort zone.

Here the only one I recommend: http://www.walksofspain.com/

Bill

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

Who needs a tapas tour when you have Revulgo's list and a little Spanish?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187514-c79245/Madr…

tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g187514-i126-k4…

Madrid is very safe, even late at night.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

A guided tapas tour and a bar-hopping on your own are different experiences. The 'first-timers' often feel more 'safe' on a guided tour.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

I speak and understand enough Spanish to get by and get into trouble!! We don't drink but I love tapas, and am looking forward to eating my way through Madrid! thanks for all the suggestions. We found a nice 2BR/2BA apt. in the Palacio Real area, and we will be sure to post here after our trip. Gracias a todos!

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights in Madrid

Revulgo's list?? Did I miss this post? Would love to have. We leave a week from tomorrow-very excited-Xmas then Spain!