We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washing machines in Spain

9 posts
Save Topic
Washing machines in Spain

I've noticed that almost all of the rental apartments I've been looking at in Spain have washing machines but make no mention of a dryer. Do these machines do both?? That might sound crazy but I know such machines do exist! If not, how do people dry their clothes? Do they hang them up within the apartment? Clearly, I need to also ask the rental company about the specifics of the units we're renting but I thought I'd ask here first!

If someone can help me with this - that would be great! I'd love to be able to do a little laundry about halfway through our 10 day trip!

Mijas, Spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washing machines in Spain

Most apartments will supply a fold away " clothes horse " or airer to hang washing on. Many apartment complexes are quite strict about not hanging clothes over the balcony railing or in full view of other apartments.

If you are unlucky enough to have bad weather ....and depending on the area you are in.....there are launderettes that will be happy to dry your washing for a few Euros.

Near me there is even a petrol station with coin operated washers and driers so I am sure you will be O.K.!

Have a great holiday.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washing machines in Spain

Ruddycat,

I've stayed in a few apts in Spain and France and none of them have had a dryer. As cookspain has mentioned, the apts usually have either a stand for drying clothes or a built-in rack inside/outside.

Depending on where you are living, you can use Google maps to find a lavanderia nearby. Type in your address and add 'lavanderia near...'. I've created an example, using the Hotel Europa in Madrid.

http://g.co/maps/s4gky

Bear in mind that some of the listings might be for other services (eg industrial).

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washing machines in Spain

I worried about this when we moved here, but the clothes on the folding rack dry extra fast in Madrid! I was pleasantly surprised.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,767 posts
3,727 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washing machines in Spain

ruddycat:

I do not know what the apartments have.

I live in Malaga and my clothes washer also has a dryer in the same machine. All you have to do is to choose the correct cycle. They do this to save on space, because Spanish apartments are small compared to apartments and houses in the US.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washing machines in Spain

Doing the washing last year was nearly a full time job for me given how tiny tiny my washer was. But yes, some washers have built in dryers and most do not. You will often find you have a "tenderero" to hang your clothing on in the apartment (I dried mine out on the balcony even though we were not really supposed to since all the neighbors did). Most everything but jeans and sweaters will dry over night in Madrid where it is very arid if dried indoors. Out of doors many things will dry during a few hours depending on the season.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
200 posts
733 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washing machines in Spain

From my experience, dryers are a luxury that most don't indulge in. As everyone mentions, there are usually drying racks either mounted or ones that you pull out. Madrid is extremely dry which means things dry very quickly. Personally, we bought a dryer as soon as we moved here!

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Washing machines in Spain

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be hanging things to dry in the apartment - which is fine - and will still allow me to take fewer clothes.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washing machines in Spain

I checked when we were in Madrid in Jan-Feb. and there is still a small self-service laundry on Calle de Leon, 8. There used to be two...now only one.

Lavanderia Cervantes

Calle de Leon, 8, Madrid

Laundromat or Dry Cleaner

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Washing machines in Spain

Thanks Holakjs! The apartment we're renting is actually on Calle de Leon so that will be great!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washing machines in Spain

That's a good laundry actually. We used to do our dry cleaning there when necessary. Very nice people.