We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

I am spending 3 days and two nights in Madrid.

The first day, We arrive early morning, staying close to Sol. We plan to walk around Sol, various Plazas and see Prado for sure, and Reina Sofia if possible. We'd like to take it easy during the day, and catch a flamenco show at Casa Patas (without dinner) that night.

The second day, we plan to visit the Royal palace while stopping at Plaza Mayor, then head to Segovia for lunch (reach there around 1pm) spend some time there, leave there by 6pm, hoping to end the day with a flamenco dinner.

The third day, we're off to Toledo in the morning, and are back in Madrid @4pm, and leave that night by 8pm flight.

We also spend a night in Madrid on the way back, arriving @3pm or so, catch a bullfight @6pm and head home the next morning.

Any comments or suggestions on the above?

Should we do Segovia (and El Escorial?) on the third day, and do Toledo the second day afternoon, possibly catch the sunset and dinner in Toledo before coming back to Madrid? I don't want to lug luggage around, thus staying that night in Toledo is not something I'd look forward to. Any suggestion for good flamenco dinner in Madrid or dinner place in Toledo?

Thanks in advance.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,767 posts
3,727 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

fmly:

A visit to the Royal Palace takes about 2 hours. Be sure to see the Royal Armory. I am not sure you will be able to reach Segovia by 1 pm. However lunch is served until about 4 pm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

I wouldn't try to see the Palace and Segovia on the same day. As Benny says, you probably won't reach Segovia by 1 pm, and even if you did, you'd not have enough time to do the city justice: there is more to see than can be crammed into a few hours (even if you skip lunch!) Segovia really deserves and needs a full day.

I think you'll really have to choose between them: either stay in Madrid after touring the Palace and soak up more of what Madrid has to offer, or forget the Palace and spend the day in Segovia.

I also don't think you should try to see the Prado AND the Reina Sofia on the same day: you won't have enough time, especially after walking around in the morning after your flight. (That's hardly "taking it easy"!) Go to the one museum than you are most interested in, and spend a couple of hours there: that's the absolute minimum for the Prado, certainly. (I suppose you could pop down to the Reina Sofia just to see Guernica.) But don't forget that it takes a little time to get from one place to the next, and to sit down for a coffee, watch the world go by, have lunch.... etc.

The truth is, you're not allowing Madrid enough time. Any chance of re-thinking your plan?

Edited: 27 February 2012, 12:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

>Should we do Segovia (and El Escorial?) on the third day<

No, see above re Segovia, and El Escorial too needs more than a half day. Also, unless you are driving, it's not easy to travel between them.

>and do Toledo the second day afternoon, possibly catch the sunset and dinner in Toledo before coming back to Madrid? <

No! You need even more time in Toledo than you do in Segovia; it's much bigger, and there is more to see. And how do you think you would be able to catch dinner and sunset in Toledo, and get back to Madrid for an 8pm flight?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

Thank you all, I suspected I was cramming.

Here's my modified itinerary:

Arrive in Madrid, drop-off bags, and go to Segovia for that afternoon. Return from Segovia by 6:30pm train. That evening, Casa Patas.

Next day is all Madrid. must see are royal Museum and Prado. Night flamenco dinner. (Would appreciate suggestions)

Next day, leave for Toledo, come back by 4pm for 8pm train.

On the way back home, I've an evening in Madrid for the bullfight, and hang around a plaza one more night.

Does this sound more reasonable? Any suggestions for the flamenco dinner?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

It does sound more realistic. I'm still wondering why you've decided to spend so little time in Madrid, though - a scarce three days, with two of them spent outside of the city.

Anyway. After you see the Palace you can walk to the Prado, seeing the Plaza Mayor on the way. The Plaza Mayor is a good place to sit down and appreciate the beautiful setting while having a bite to eat. It's not the best place to eat, being full of overpriced tourist traps: the best of the lot is probably the Museo del Jamon (others may have other suggestions).

After you've visited the Prado, go and have a walk in the Retiro Park, a few minutes walk away.

But there is so much more to see and do in Madrid than you've given yourself time for. If you really can't extent your stay, I would drop either Segovia or Toledo, and spend another day in Madrid.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 16:34
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

Thank you Alabastron. We would like to visit Segovia as it relates to the castle in Disneyland that the kids relate to with fondness. Thus, we might drop Toledo, though i'd rather see Toledo than Segovia. That would also save me the worry of getting from train station to hotel and back to airport between 4pm to 6pm for our 8pm flight. Our trip is in mid-April, and given the trouble I had getting the train tickets from raileurope.com, I'll hang on to them till the last minute, but will likely drop Toledo.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

"..."that the kids relate to." So to better understand...not just you , but you and the family are flying in from CA, then of course checking into your hotel, then catching a train and going to Segovia for the day, then returning to take in dinner and the show at Casa Patas? This may not be correct, but it's what I got from your post. Sorry if I misinterpreted...Ambitious is certainly one word for it.

8. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 February 2012, 22:34
9. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 February 2012, 22:45
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please comment: Madrid Itinerary

We had a whirlwind of a trip in Europe last year, and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess day1 does sound ambitious, I'll have to report back on how it actually went. :)