We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

Is it practical to take the fast train to Barcelona from Madrid. From my calculations I would have about 9 hours in Barcelona to wonder. Is this accurate and worth the travel time?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

I would rather do a daytrip to Cordoba or Sevilla, closer to Madrid by fast train and a better daytrip. Barcelona is too big to see in one day.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

I'm planning on Toledo and Segovia as day trips already. I'll be in Madrid for 8 nights. Not sure when I'll get back to Spain, as there are so many place around the world I want to see. But I do want to see barcelona.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

>I would have about 9 hours in Barcelona to wonder<

Well, there ya go. If you don't make it to B...and don't get back to Spain...you'll have the rest of your life to wonder. You could think about staying overnight...or taking the night train back...or flying one of the low-cost airlines....Or as planned, catching the early one there, the late one back, with several hours to wander, and never having to wonder....Good luck!

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
184 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

It's an awfully big city for a day trip, but if that's all the time you can allow, better 9 hours than none at all. It's certainly worth the trip, but a little more time (overnight) would probably be even more worthwhile.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

I think Staying a night is a good idea. I hadn't really have given that much thought since I'm already booked for Madrid. But I do really want to see the Gaudí cathedral (not sure the actual name).

Now that brings the question: Does anyone know of a budget hotel 40-60 Euros a night, right in the heart of the city?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

Joerocco,

You can buy tickets online in advance for the Sagrada Familia. This will allow you to waltz right in and avoid the lines, which can get to be 1-hr long. Info about the Sagrada Familia and buying tickets on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c113599/Barce…

Barcelona is very compact and the metro will take you all over. You'll arrive at Sants station. The L5 (blue) line takes you directly to the Sagrada Familia. Last year, another TA member who visited both Madrid and Barcelona by herself (yesiloves2travel) stayed at BarcelonaBB and highly recommended it.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d736822…

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

if you are going to do a quick trip you will not have too much time for walking around the city. if the hop on/off bus in still there be sure to take it as you can get a great overview of the city and you can jump off and see some sights..

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

Joerocco:

Besides seeing the Sagrada Familia, you could also see the Cathedral, Casa Mila and Casa Battlo.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

Santa Maria del Mar too, Benny ... it is so sublime, so haunting, so very beautiful and I love it beyond measure ...

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip Madrid to Barcelona

"Is it practical to take the fast train to Barcelona from Madrid."

Practical? Yes! A smart thing to do? No!