We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

Europe
Level Contributor
236 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

hi there,

I'm thinking of renting an apartment near the Museo Reina Sofia, and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with that neighborhood. The place I am looking at is on Calle de Argumosa, between where it intersects with Calle del Doctor Fourquet and Calle del Doctor Piga. The Lavapies metro station is not too far away -- though it looks like the apartment is a little closer to the museum than the station.

If it matters, I like staying in places that feel like real neighborhoods (that is, not places that are overly touristy, and not places that completely empty out at night, as happens in many American downtowns). My preference is to be close to bars and restaurants, but I'm not interested in nightclubs and hope to avoid a lot of noise at night. I'm traveling solo and will be there the first week in September.

thanks!

Sasha

Adventurous Appetites Tapas Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Walks of Madrid Tapas Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Madride Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

I don't know the area but on Google maps, it looks nice. I like the little fountain.

http://g.co/maps/y87m6

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

Calle Argumosa is nicknamed as the "promenade of Lavapiés" due to its sidewalk tables. The atmosphere is multicultural & local bohemian people. Perfect to feel the buzz of a neighborhood.

Some essential spots on Argumosa: Bar Automático, Bar Achuri, El Granero de Lavapiés (veg restaurant), Casa de Asturias (unpretentious restaurant), Eucalipto (fruit juices, cocktails), La Higuera (cake shop)…

Nearby: Nuevo Café Barbieri on Calle Ave María 45, La Inquilina (tapas & exhibits) on Ave María 39, Penny Lane (rock bar) on Salitre 15, El Boquerón (grilled shrimps!) on Calle de Valencia 14, Bajo el Volcán (books & records store) on Ave María 42, Tapas y Fotos on Doctor Piga 7...

mapmagazine.com/calle-de-argumosa-the-street…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

I wouldn't exactly call it one of the city's better neighborhoods, and certainly not touristy, but busy during the day. Overall there's nothing wrong with it if that's where you want to spend a few days. The metro station Lavapies is served by line 3.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

sasark:

Read about this neighborhood:

www.mapmagazine.com/neighborhoods-in-madrid/

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

Its one of my favourite areas in town, and seems to tick all your boxes: real neighbourhood, not touristy, central, lively, as most of Madrid centre it never gets completely empty out at night, many nice bars and restaurants...

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

I also love that area! Great places to eat and so fun and funky. Most tourists never get there at all. Which makes it all the better!

Europe
Level Contributor
236 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

Thanks so much for all the input! I'm going to do it!!

8. Re: Looking at staying near Museo Reina Sofia - opinions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:16