We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish sim cards

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish sim cards

I recently was able to get my iphone 3gs unlocked. And now i was wondering what the best company to buy a sim card is?

Is it better to buy a sim in Madrid or online before I arrive?

Thanks in advance

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish sim cards

You can get a sim card from any of the companies (Movistar, Orange, etc). None is better than the other. I'd get it there. Orange I know supports iPhone.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish sim cards

is it worth it to get a sim card if only visiting Spain for 10 days ?

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish sim cards

Do you speak Spanish? For me, having a phone in Spain is more a the convenience of calling locally. For calling abroad I'd prefer the cabinas which are much cheaper and are everywhere. Since you will pay an arm and a leg for the joy of your iPhone it depends on your attachment level. If you are a true addict, what price addiction? ;)

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish sim cards

I think I'll go with orange! And the primary use for the sim will be data for the map app, google translate and anything else I might search the web for.

Thanks for the help

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish sim cards

Just wondering how much daily data usage does the map app normally take up? We would be using the navigation about 20-40mins per day on days that we are in the cities, and about 3 hrs when we are driving between cities. Thanks.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish sim cards

I'm not sure. But for navigating between cities (I assume you're driving?) you may be best off with getting directions from michelin first. Or you can usually get a Repsol Guide (get the one that is not the latest year and it will cost about 6€). These are terrific to have when driving because they don't just have all the highways, but also points of interest, places to eat etc. However, they are in Spanish.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish sim cards

Heading out to Madrid soon and wanted to use a Sim Card in my mobile broadband device. I can use any sim in it as it's unlocked and wanted to know who was the best mobile internet service provider out there?

Thanks!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish sim cards

They're all pretty much the same. Try any of them: Orange, Vodafone or Movistar. They charge similar rates for pay as you go.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish sim cards

I used orange and got it at a little móvil store on calle Atoche.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish sim cards

We also used Orange. They are just fine.