We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

Wondering if the HoHo bus is worthwhile. I have the website but can't find reviews of it. We are seniors so the cost is only 9E each for the day.

Anyone know if they run close to on time and also is the commentary good?

Otherwise we can just walk or take Metro to what we are interested in.

Thanks.

Ellen

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

I think at that price its a great deal. As long as you know that a lot of times the audio does not work, and that they can be very crowded, other than that its a good deal. They show you most of the MUST SEE'S in Madrid, and you can hop on or hop off at any one place. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

I was living in Madrid for a couple of years. Then, during a company meeting with international colleagues we did a HOHO bus tour (without leaving it). Even the locals did learn a few new things and everybody seemed pleased with the experience.

I like to take the HOHO buses on my first day(s) on a new city. They are usually a good way to get your bearings, but I rarely use them as way if transport. I do return later to the places that interest me.

In Madrid you can take the metro or just walk to most sights, but IMHO the sightseeing buses are a complementary experience.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

I took the IMHO after my third visit to Madrid, just to find out what the fuss is all about and someone mention it would give me a differnet view of Madrid to photograph. After taking both routes, I still wonder what the fuss was about, since most of Madrid is flashing by me.

I guess the excitement ride the bus whould be for any first time visitor to Madrid and the fact the bus ride throught the streets of Madrid. Streets that people would skip walking.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

" I like to take the HOHO buses on my first day(s) on a new city. They are usually a good way to get your bearings, but I rarely use them as way if transport. I do return later to the places that interest me. "

My thoughts exactly! :-)

We ride around without disembarking and return to certain places for a longer look on another day. It's a great way to get the lay of the land without wasting too much time and energy.

When we went last summer, the commentary was not very good. The driver must activate it when the bus is approaching a certain destination. Our driver kept forgetting to 'press the button' so sometimes we'd arrive, stop and pass a sightseeing stop without any commentary. :-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

I know that the cost is only 9E per person for us, but unless we can learn at least a little about sites that we are passing, seems not worth even that.

I have taken the HOHO service in a couple of Canadian cities and a few European cities and they were excellent so I think that I would be disappointed.

Will just read the guide book and discover Madrid on our own.

Thanks for the responses.

Ellen

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

I would counsel you to take the HOHO bus through its entire route once. There are 2/3 routes based on when you are travelling and it is as good or as bad as the ones in say London or New York. The websites will give you the route and you should then do your own reading about the places you will visit. At least that has been our experience.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

My wife and I found the bus in Madrid excellent value. Like Gigis Mum we stayed on for all the route, then went around again getting off at places that interested us. There is lots of wonderful architecture, statues etc on the top of buildings that is easily missed from ground level

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

Okay. Now I am starting to think again about using HOHO bus. Perhaps if driver does not activate the commentary, he could be reminded in a nice way. It is, after all, the reason one uses the bus.

Pavoreal: Which route did you do?

Ellen

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

The couple of times I've taken it...just as Bill from NYC did....to see what all the fuss was about...there have been audio problems or the audio was ahead or behind what was being seen, but at 9E it's probably a good way to get the lay of the land without getting exhausted doing it.

So if you find you have audio concerns..move or get new earplugs ASAP.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HOHO Bus Worthwhile?

As we had a 2day pass, we used both routes but found Route 1 the most interesting.