We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

Can't hide a thing from my momma,

with Spain on the news I'd like to ask if things are cool for tourists in Madrid or is this over in the Puerto del Sol area? The newspaper articles and photos I saw looked like peaceful protests about very important things.

I've waited a long time for this trip. can't believe it's almost here :)

woooo hoooo !

ODR
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
256 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

Don't worry about demostrations, it is true the movement is there and it is important (and peaceful). But, I do not think it will have any impact on you unless you would like to visit the Puerta del Sol at the same time they are having a meeting. If so, you may have a look or come back later.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

ODR thanks for the post and I'm really hoping things turn around in a good way for the people of Spain.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

Dont worry, we have just returned and had stayed in the Hotel Europa with a room that overlooked the Puerta del Sol.

Yes, there were demonstrations in the square each night and we watched from the balcony. Noisy at times but there was no trouble, shops were open, and we didn't feel threatened at all going out in the evening. No problem getting into the hotel, all you did was walk around the square rather than walk through the middle. Everywhere was clean and tidy once more by the morning!

Am sure you'll have a lovely time!

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

I must haVe missed this on the news. We were in Madrid last year when the same thing was happening. It was no trouble.

We are visiting next weekend so the protests will probably still be going on

5. Re: Madrid & Puerto del Sol * demonstrators * spain news

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:41