We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

For example let's say I want to start at Sol and go to Segovia for a day trip using the fast train service from Chamartin. I know I have to first get to Chamartin. I have seen posts that say 'don't take the metro from Sol, take the Cercanías". I looked up the Cercanías on Renfe and sure enough a lot of trains and very short rides from Sol to Chamartin.

So what will I experience when I get to the Sol metro and I want to take the Cercanías to Chamartin? Different entrance to the station, different platforms? Different ticket windows selling tickets? Thanks in advance.

Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

For the metro you should follow the logo shown on this link....

http://www.metromadrid.es/es/index.html

and for the Cercanias this....

renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

Hope this helps!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

Sol to Charmartin by Metro about 12 stops and 22 minutes.

Sol to Chamartin by Cercanias much fewer stops and 9 minutes

Metro price; more than 9 stops 2 euros

Cercanias: between 2 and 3 euros (but not sure exactly)

Maybe someone will update us on that.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

The difference is that one is the subway system of Madrid and the other is a commuter train which goes outside of Madrid. The Metro has many many stops very close together. The Cercanias has many fewer stops and is a much faster train (so a local v. an express). On a Metro map, you will see a red C symbol which denotes which stations have a connection to Cercanias. Sometimes there are different entrances, sometimes (as in SOL and Atocha) they are connected internally but you have to walk over to the line. The trains are different and cost a different amount accordingly. A cercanias fare is included though in the AVE and AVANT (which are the trains you take to get to different places in the country) fares you buy to make it easier for people in and around Madrid to get to Atocha, thus if you are going to Segovia by train, your Cercanias fare is included.

All that said, I take the bus to Segovia from the Principe Pio station and not the trai n (from Chamartin) because the bus leaves every 1/2 hour, costs much less and lets you off quite near the aqueduct in town.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

Wombat Excellent! Thank you. So if I buy a ticket that is an AVE or an AVANT to Segovia and Toledo (the next day), I don't need to buy a Cercanias ticket? Just go to Sol and board the Cercanias and show them the AVE or AVANT ticket? And the Bus, what Company is recommended, where does it leave from? I will check it out. Our hotel is close to Puerta del Sol.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

I will answer this part of your question

So what will I experience when I get to the Sol metro and I want to take the Cercanías to Chamartin? Cercanias at Sol is on the first level underground, but you don't need to know that now since you are taking bus to Segovia.

Cercanias may be included in the AVE/Avant tickets because it's a whole lot less. Price for Cercanias is more in line with the Metro price than the AVE.

You probably know that for AVANT to Toledo you go to Atocha.

AND you get the bus to Segovia at the old train station Principe Pio, which is now a Metro stop and also a shopping center.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

Okay I looked at the Bus. I looked at the pros and cons for the Fast Train and the Bus. I will use the Fast Train. Thanks for your responses.

Using the train I get on the Cercanias from Sol to Chamartin (a non-stop quick ride) and I assume I don't leave Chamartin and all I have to do is find the Platform for the AVANT. And the train from Chamartin to Segovia is 27 minutes. Arrival at Segovia take a bus or a cab to begin the sightseeing.

Using the Bus it looks like I have to hoof it to the Opera Metro station, search for some shuttle that goes from the Opera to Principe Pio, and then search for the La Sepulvedana Bus. All together a lot of searching in unfamiliar territory. And the Bus takes 1 hour and 15 minutes. Dropped off close to the sightseeing.

Cost for 2 for round-trip plus other transportation costs: expect to pay 20 to 25 euro more using the train option.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

Thank you for sharing your decision-making process and additional info.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

Fares on Cercanias are now posted under Top Question on right hand side of this page. Go to: What are the latest public transit fares in Madrid? in the first section "Transport" of Top Questions.

Thanks to arfonm in Madrid.

9. Re: What is the difference between Metro and Cercanías?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:40