We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

Hi,

I would like to visit Madrid and will be travelling alone. I speak English only. Do people in Madrid speak English? Will I be able to enjoy myself.

Thank you

charleston
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

just returned from madrid/seville last week. I was surprised

at just how little english was spoken. Since my wife spoke

spanish, it was fine. But we both noted that had she not, it

would have been a far different trip. (and , not for the better).

I strongly urge you to learn some spanish ...just to talk to taxi

drivers, servers and just understanding directions..

And, by the way, Spain is a wonderful county with outstanding food and warm, lovely people...

LEARN SOME SPANISH!!!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

As a retired Spanish teacher, I say, "Way to go". Hable español...es tan útil. ☺

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

I would be going in a week and it would be hard to learn Spanish in under a week.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

Learn a few simple words and buy a good little phrase book. Don't worry you'll be fine.

I've visited several countries e.g. Italy, Greece and U.S.A (LOL) where I don't speak the language and always managed to enjoy myself.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 16:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

I have visited Madrid seven or eight times, and had a wonderful time every time. I don't speak Spanish. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed myself even more if I did, but I don't, and it hasn't ever put a damper on my fun.

Most Spaniards don't speak English, but don't let that discourage you. Learn a few basic words and make an effort to speak them, and it will be appreciated. Spoken language is not the only means human beings have of communicating with each other. Gestures of friendliness and good will go a long way.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 20:57
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,464 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

John:

All people connected with the tourist trade speak English. You will not have any problem.

Most Spanish study English in school. The problem is that they cannot practice it. All TV shows are translated into Spanish, as well as all movies. So the Spanish cannot listen to any English and cannot practice it.

If you need any information or directions, look for a young person because they are more likely to have studied English at school. Most of the people over 50 may not have studied it.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

Learn some food vocabulary as it will help with eating and drinking in non-tourist areas.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

We have some Spanish friends who joke that the definition of a Spaniard is someone who studies English their whole lives and doesn't speak a word. That said, many Spaniards speak very good English and many speak absolutely none at all. If you have a smartphone, download a dictionary (there are some good ones and they are worth paying for). If not, get a phrase book. Because you will still have a lovely time. After all, the definition of an Englishman is someone who once had an empire that the sun never set upon and who speaks no other language than English. Oh, and they almost always vacation in sunny Spain. So if they enjoy it, you shall too.

Oh, and in our family we all speak Spanish. But when we got to Madrid, we found that because we speak Latin American Spanish, we *still* didn't understand everything terribly well. So even then it's not a boon! LOL!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

I understand your concern. I speak four languages and hence have been able to manage in most countries I have visited. China and Japan were a shock since very few people spoke English. I know it can be frustrating at times, but I love Japan and go there as often as I can.

You won't have any problems at all, just like most of the nearly 60 million people who visit Spain every year, many of whom do not speak Spanish either.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Madrid alone. I don't speak Spanish

We just returned from Madrid and we speak really no spanish besides just some common phrases and we had NO Problem! We even drove across the countryside into France and had no problems!! Don't worry, everyone was so wonderful!! We did do a Seagway tour and this was great as it really gave us a great tour of the city and was fast and fun! Our guide spoke wonderful English and we encountered many Americans in Madrid on vacation as well!! Have a great trip!