We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Spain in 2013

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Spain in 2013

We are planning our first trip to Spain for a year from now. However, I read about the economic problems, the political unrest; and everything in the future seems to be in flux. Any opinions on what the future holds? I want to book things well in advance so we can have our choice of accommodations, travel, etc. But, I don't want to start booking things and then have it all fall apart. Or have things booked for one price now, and then a year from now have to come up with more money because Spain is no longer using the Euro, or something like that. Any thoughts from those who are experienced?

Thanks in advance.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

I think your outlook is less than optimistic. I don't envision Spain not being part of the EU and not using the euro. I would plan your trip as soon as you can, and you really can't foresee what will happen to the dollar vs. the euro. It's better for US trade if dollar is low because then others will be more inclined to buy US goods, but if the dollar is high, the advantage is to the traveler going abroad.

Re: Political unrest. I am sure you've read about Occupy Seattle, NY or whatever city you're in. We have political unrest as much as the Spanish do, and I don't think that keeps many from traveling.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

I agree with Holakjs. Plus - You're looking for someone who's had experience with going to a country that has destabilized, gone through some sort of huge change, then converted to a different currency? I don't think when the EU was formed exactly counts, so for a person with that kind of experience, I'd pick a different country's forum to ask the question.

If it makes you feel any better, we're headed to Italy next year. But if you can't live with the uncertainty you seem to have, it might be better to wait...or perhaps to do all the legwork but wait a few more months to pull the trigger on things. Unless you're using award travel, the air tix can probably wait...and for the hotels, just make sure you know their cancellation policies.

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

Thanks to you both. Very helpful. We are seasoned travelers but have never traveled to Spain so wanted to get some input from those who know better. It's good to hear something other than headlines on the news. We will be using air awards for travel so we will need to book those tickets early. I've already done a lot of legwork so it will just need to make some final decisions.

We will be celebrating our 30 anniversary and can't wait to explore.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,289 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

hojawett:

I do not think that Spain will ever leave the euro. The Spanish government is taking many measures to reduce its deficit. This of course makes many people unhappy because it reduces their benefits, so they like to go on the streets and protest. However a very recent poll shows that the majority of the population supports the government and knows that sacrifices have to be made to make the Spanish economy function properly.

I think you can plan your trip to Spain and you will enjoy your trip. Many restaurants have dropped their prices because of the crisis, to attract customers, and this is good for our visitors. Hotels also are not increasing prices.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

Maybe this will help you relax a bit...On Yahoo today...

…reuters.com/article/2012/07/08/spain-econom…

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

And I probably don't need to add this, but you know you can buy those miles back in a worst-case scenario. It was our first trip to Spain too, and we loved it...But I didn't book anywhere I couldn't cancel within a reasonable amount of time. You'll have a great trip. Enjoy!

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

Thanks again to all. Can't wait to enjoy España.

8. Re: Travel to Spain in 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:17