We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

It seems that budget airlines Ryanair and Easyjet are cutting some routes and reducing schedules between Spain and UK. Easyjet has announced that its Madrid hub is to close this winter and that it will be reducing capacity by 20%. Flights already booked with Easyjet up to November are unaffected. Easyjet plan to contact customers directly who have flights booked from November onwards as soon as schedules have been revised.

dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2177839/Ryana…

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

That's an extraordinary piece of news. Cutting off noses to spite faces comes to mind. Surely Spain cannot afford to lose the tourists that Easyjet and Ryanair between them bring to Madrid and will re-think the tax increase. I've always used Easyjet to Madrid, so I hope so!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

<<I've always used Easyjet to Madrid, so I hope so!>>

Me too. Hopefully Easyjet are still in discussions with the airport. I've used them twice to Madrid and was hoping to make a 3rd trip next year. The following statement is shown on their website:

"Proposed changes to Madrid flying

easyJet has announced that it may make some changes to its flying programme from Madrid. All flights to and from Madrid, up to 1 November 2012 will be unaffected and passengers do not need to take any further action.

There may be changes to easyJet flights to and from Madrid after 1 November and customers who are already booked on these flights will be notified by email if they are affected.

All scheduled flights to and from all other Spanish airports are unaffected."

They are still showing flight prices beyond November. Not sure if I'd risk booking a flight at this stage, though!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

From what I understand Easyjet have 8 aircraft and then a team of pilots and cabin crew based at the Madrid hub. They intend to move their hub from Madrid and relocate/redeploy the staff elsewhere. I believe they still intend to fly to and from Madrid. It is however their intention to reduce the number and frequency of flights to Madrid by about 20%.

It might perhaps to be prudent to wait a while, until revised schedules have been published before booking beyond 1 November otherwise I suppose you run the risk of the flight you have booked being the one that is pulled.

It is a shame and I agree that this is not the smartest of moves by the Government when tourism plays such a big role in the economy!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

abtn.co.uk/news/2017499-easyjet-close-madrid…

5. Re: Airlines cut routes between Spain and UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:16