We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

having stayed in hotels 40 weeks of the year, I always take a centrally located apartment when holidaying - much easier for privacy and comfort. Recently massively disappointed to be told on my enquiring about a Madrid property on TripAdvisor that the range (£70-90pn), did not apply for our ten day stay. Let's be clear I'm familiar with high/low season pricing and expected a range of £700-£900 plus any security deposit. In fact we were asked to pay almost £1200! If you publish a price, you either say it's an error or you honour it. You should certainly apologise for misleading your client. What we were told was that the pricing was only a guide. Really? This makes me wonder whether we should hire through Trip Advisor in this way and yes, if we do, it won't be in Madrid. Deeply disappointing. Have any others had this experience? Advice please!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

I don't think you should blame Trip Advisor about this. The apt. agency will charge what the market will bear, and if you don't like it, you can do as you do and decline the "offer." You can't blame Trip Advisor or Madrid for this situation. You aren't reserving for August dates, when the rates are surely lower...Everyone is off to the beach...Well, not everyone but many.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,813 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

Welcome to Tripadvisor, have you checked www.vrbo.com or www.ownersdirect.co.uk

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

I've always used www.airbnb.com and it works pretty well

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

Agreed. You should check the price in advance. TA is not a booking site. These are not figures set in stone, unfortunately. It's up to the property to update their figures on TA and if they don't then they are at fault, not TA. Plus I can't understand how it is that you went through all this and didn't know the price in advance? Am I clear that you stayed there the whole time and only found out the fee in the end?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

Actually I'm NOT blaming TA at all. I'm saying that if a price is advertised then it should be honoured or should be responded to with a "I'm sorry, that's an old price which we haven't updated". Otherwise it wastes time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used one of them before with good results.

7. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2012, 17:35
wales
Level Contributor
503 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

I have often wondered if somehow when giving a review we could give a cost per room per night that we paid or per person for a 7 day holiday etc, yes it would be affected by the season etc but would it be more accurate than the tripadvisor shown rates. (not sure where they get them from)

Otherwise trivago finds you the cheapest booking site to which i then compare with travel republic.

Also easyjet holidays are quite favourably priced.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

I am confused. Were you informed of the price difference when you enquired, or after you had arrived at the property. If it was after arrival (i.e., you had a reservation with an agreed upon price), I'd be quite upset. If it were when you enquired, well, then they did tell you the price was not correct. I'm not sure I see what the issue is here. Info on the listing was out of date and they corrected it when you enquired.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Disappointed in price-changing tactic in Madrid

perhaps I'm used to different sites. Those where the price is marked is the price that the owner expects to be paid. When you go to the supermarket, or to a hotel website, do you really expect the pricing to act as a guide only?

Be that as it may, what I am finding difficult is the fact that it is seems to be my responsibility to humbly ask what the real price is rather than the owners to either put THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE PRICE or to apologise and say. Sorry we didn't update this page. As I said before, disappointing.