We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trips from Madrid

Could anybody please suggest some interesting day trips from Madrid, which would be worth going on? Something a train ride away from the city say.

I quite like towns with character, or sights with a 'bit of Nature' about them, such as landscaped or public gardens.

Thank you very much GG x

planet earth
Level Contributor
320 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Madrid

I hear Toledo is great!!! I am going there in June 2006 and I am looking forward on taking a trip to this city. You could go to www.renfe.com and take the bullet train to Toledo, is only 35 minutes and what I hear Toledo is a very old city with lots of charm,

great sights,restaurants,shops ect.

Hopefully you'll consider going to this wonderful medieval city.

Happy travel...

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
264 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Madrid

Toledo is definitely worth a visit, also Salamanca, Segovia, Chinchón...

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Madrid

A day trip to Segovia is a great trip. We've just returned from a holiday on Madrid and took the bus to Segovia. Takes 70 mins each way. Plenty to see:... the Alcazar, Cathedral, Aqueduct etc.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Madrid

My choices would be:

1. Segovia because, as Pavoreal says, there is lots to see, and it's fun to see. Cathedral, castle and 2000 year old Roman aquaduct.

2. Toledo certainly has the character you are looking for and to me is a bit more serious. However, if you are a fan of the artist El Greco, you will see his masterpiece in the intimate Iglesia de Santo Tome. There are synagogues and mosques...also small and old, and of course, the impressive Cathedral.

3. El Escorial where all Spanish kings are buried as well as their mother. The controversial Valle de los Caídos, built with Franco's political prisoners, is nearby..but not in the same small town.

I think most people would put Toledo #1 on this list, and I think I do too.

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
264 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Madrid

Aranjuez also very interesting

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Madrid

I agree with all the above..

For you though I would recommend Segovia, you will see more nature that way, and mountains and the train trip is more beautiful. If you had a car or a tour you could visit the royal palace at La Granja which is near Segovia and has some beautiful gardens and fountains. HOpe this helps!