We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Centre

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Centre

We are 2 middle aged ladies arriving in Madrid on 5th November.I would just like to ask the easiest option to get to/ from the airport to Gran Via as we are staying at Cason Del Tormes hotel which I believe is a little street off there?Thank you

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Centre

You could take the airport express bus for 5 euros per person, get off at Plaza de Cibeles and then take the metro from Banco de Espana (2 minute walk) to Plaza de Espana and then walk to your hotel. Alternatively avoid the metro and flag down a taxi at Cibeles for a few euros to take you to your hotel. A taxi can be taken all the way from the airport to your hotel for a cost of approx 30 euros. Taxis are lined up outside of the terminal building.

Another option would be to take the Cercanias (commuter train) from terminal 4 to Principe Pio (38 minutes) and either walk or take a taxi to your hotel from there. If you are not flying into T4, you will need to take the airport transfer shuttle to T4 from your arrival terminal and then follow signs for the Cercanias.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Centre

Thank you very much Flora D.Will make my life easier now.

Madrid, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Centre

Hello!

Your best option in my opinion is the commuter (Cercanías) train from the T4 (free transfer from T1, T2 and T3 as stated by Flora D)... but I wouldn't stop at Principe Pío as it's uphill to your destination and it may be annoying carrying your luggage...

You can leave the train at Nuevos Ministerios (1.70€) and take the Metro (L10) to Plaza de España which is really close to your Hotel... that will cost you 1.50 extra € per person but it's a much more quick and confortable option.

You can also take the metro from the airport to Nuevos Ministerios but it's way more expensive than the train from the airport (5€).

Remember that there are day tickets from 8€ (1 day) to 33.40€ (7 days) and those are valid withing the city (including the airport) for metro, cercanías trains and buses (except the yellow express bus to the airport).

There is also a 10 trips metro ticket for a little more than 12€, it's valid in metro and buses (not cercanías nor the yellow express bus), you can share it if your origin and destination is the same (just validate it twice) but you will have to pay the 3€ surcharge for using the airport metro stations so the cercanias is always a cheaper (and usually faster) option even if you are going to transfer to the metro later.

Have a nice trip!

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Centre

Hi OriKote

Thank you for all your information.Will most likely use your option as it seems a much cheaper way.Really looking forward to our trip.Just need to do an itinery now as there is much to see in our 3 day visit.

Belgrade
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Centre

I need help from Madrid experts.

I need to change 3 metro lines (lines 8, 10 and 2) to get from airport to hotel, that is close to Santo Domingo metro station. My question is do I need to buy 3 separate metro tickets (any time when I change metro line) or one ticket that I'll buy on airport (with airport supplement of course) will be enough for my journey?

Also, Madrid metro web site recomends to change metro line 10 to metro line 2 at station Plaza de Espana. But that metro station for line 2 is Noviciado not Plaza de Espana. So my question is how I can transfer from line 10 to line 2 on station Plaza de Espana, e.g. is there underground pedestrian conection between Plaza de Espana and Noviciado metro stations?

Thanks in advance for help. All the best for everybody!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Centre

There are LOTS of escalators between Noviciado and Plaza de España, don't recommend that change.

7. Re: Airport to Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:16