We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

Hi all

Am planning a trip to Madrid in April next year, and am just starting to look for some suitable accommodation, I’ll need accommodation for 7 nights in total.

I’ve found a place in the Salamanca area called Apartamentos Juan Bravo, which is on Juan Bravo, 58-60, 04.Salamanca. For the dates I’m in Madrid I could stay there in a studio apartment for 315€. The apartments look really clean, have had good reviews and the price seems really reasonable compared to other hotels I’ve looked at.

My only concern is the location. I’ve done some research and the Salamanca area doesn’t seem to be the most central. When we’re in Madrid we plan on visiting some galleries and museums, shopping at some markets, trying the food, sampling the night life and generally rambling around. We’re both fit and healthy and don’t mind walking or using the metro, but we don’t want to be in an area that’s too far removed from all the action and night life either.

Would appreciate any advice on whether Salamanca is going to be a suitable base for us, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks

Gareth

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

These apartments are located in the Lista area of the Barrio de Salamanca and located not far from a large hospital. Most tourists tend to stay in the Recoletos, Goya and Castellana areas of the Barrio.

Salamanca is a quieter area compared to Sol, Plaza Mayor, La Latina. If I am honest, I am not really sure, from what you say, that this will be the best location for you. Salamanca has great shops, restaurants, bars and the Recoletos area borders Retiro Park and Alcala - worth a visit. I think that you will find yourself having to rely on the metro.

I suggest you try looking around Plaza de Santa Ana and La Latina. In these areas you will be in the centre of things and able to walk back to your apartment after a particularly late night when metro has stopped!

You could also try looking at hostals which are smaller, hotel type properties, often family run, but without all of the 'add ons' larger hotels have. These are by no means hostels, they are very different.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 16:06
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

Well, Salamanca is good, rather stylish, even posh, but you'll need to take the Metro, and change lines too, to get Puerta del Sol from that apartments.

Metro map:

metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/docu…

Juan Bravo apartments are located between Diego de León and Lista (brown line). "Sol" is "Piccadilly Circus" for this purpose.

Itineraries:

ctm-madrid.es/como_ir_a/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,835 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

I would say, given your interests and what you want to do and see in Madrid, that you'd do better to look for an apartment in a more central location. I did some investigation recently, and found lots of nice looking apartments on Friendly Rentals website, in the area near the main museums. Plaza Santa Ana and Cortes, and the Barrio de las Letras would suit you, I think.

Salamanca is really a bit out of the way, unless you want to use public transport every day which isn't necessary, as Madrid's centre is compact and walkable.

If you want to consider Flora's suggestion of a hostal, I can recommend Hostal Gonzalo, where I've stayed a number of times. It's a few minutes walk from the Prado and the Thyssen, and walking distance to everywhere else in the centre.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 17:34
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

Well these apartments are located on the Barrio de Salamanca indeed. Who was my girlfriend for some time lived just there (this was many years ago, just in case my dear wife reads this). The area is fine and Juan Bravo hosts a lot of bars and restaurants.

However, I, as others, don't think is a very suitable area for you. If you don't mind to change lines and take the Metro to more around then it is fine, of course but walking is a lovely way to discover Madrid - and you will have to walk a lot from that location.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

I quite like that area as a place to live (in fact we looked at it when we were moving to Madrid). And if you were looking to stay like a local I would say it's a great area. If you want to stay in Salamanca, there are other areas better located for you though. Recoletos would be a closer to the action sort of area.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

That's great, thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll keep looking for an appartment or maybe a hostel in a more central location.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

Best of luck Dogmax, and don't forget that you are looking for a hostAl and not a hostEl.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

dogmax:

I always stay at the Barrio de Salamanca when I visit Madrid because it is upscale and very safe. There is no prostitution in this area. There are metro stations in the area. Most of the time I can walk to the Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia, Sorolla Museum and Lazaro Galdiano Museums.

9. Re: Staying in Barrio De Salamanca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:17