We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day out from city centre.

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day out from city centre.

Hi folks. My husband and I will be in Madrid next week from Saturday till Wednesday. As museums, galleries etc. tend to be shut on Mondays, can anyone recommend a neighbouring town to visit with scenic walks, quaint back streets, good tapas bars and places to people watch. We thought of Avila, Aranjuez, Cuenca or Salamanca. Anybody out there with a personal preference? Would be grateful for your thoughts. Thanks.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day out from city centre.

How about Segovia? Only 30 minutes by train from Madrid, alternatively you can also take a bus. Fantastic roman aqueduct, stunning alcazar, lots of streets to explore and great restaurants to stop off at for a delicious lunch!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day out from city centre.

I'll second Flora's recommendation. You can easily see and "eat" in a day. You can't go wrong there.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day out from city centre.

Many thanks for your help. I should have said that I have visited Segovia, Toledo and El Escorial on a previous trip to Madrid. Agree with you both that Segovia is stunning.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day out from city centre.

My favorite is Salamanca but a bit far for a day trip.

www.flickr.com/groups/salamanca/pool/show/

I'd take an express bus at 7am from the Estación Sur de Autobuses (metro Méndez Alvaro). Arrival into Salamanca: 9.30am

http://www.avanzabus.com/web/timetables.html

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day out from city centre.

I would go for Avila.

Another place to consider is Alcala de Henares, easily reachable by Cercanias trains and World UNESCO Heritage.

Also Chinchon, although smaller than the other two (I would say half a day for this one)

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day out from city centre.

In that case, as you have already been to Segovia, I'd also go with the suggestion of Avila!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day out from city centre.

Had not even thought of Alcala de Henares or Chinchon .Will save Salamanca for another trip, when we've more time.(Any excuse for a return visit to Madrid!!) However, looks like Avila will be the chosen destination. Many thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day out from city centre.

Jean:

Dress very warmly for Avila.

Check the top questions in the Avila forum for what to see.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 04:28
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day out from city centre.

A tapas crawl in Avila:

Barbacana on Plaza de Santa Teresa; Bar Crisol aka Bar los Cuernos at an alley called Calle San Miguel; El Aguilucho on Calle San Juan de la Cruz; Bar La Roca on Calle Virreina María Dávila.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day out from city centre.

Thanks Benny for the tip. After the summer???!! we've had in Scotland, I only possess warm clothing! Will be sure to do my research on Avila before the weekend.

Revulgo - Thanks for pointing us in the direction of good tapas bars. Usually I just follow workmen to see where they're heading so your tips will be very useful. (And less scary for the workmen!)