We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment location

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
208 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment location

This is a description of an apartment I am looking at but I have no idea if it is convenient to the city centre. does anyone know the area please?

very close to the Metro Argüelles or Moncloa. very good as it’s strategically located near demand areas such as Plaza España, Palacio Real, Templo de Debod and Malasaña neighborhood, and within walking distance around the old town of Madrid, as Plaza Oriente, Teatro Real, Plaza Mayor. And in any case it's very well communicated with the public transportation (subway or bus), from which you can enjoy a complete tour of the city and visit the main museums of Madrid (El Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia, etc.), and other interesting areas of the city.

This beautiful apartment is located in the neighborhood of Arguelles, very close to Square of Spain and near the University City, and reaches other fashion neighborhoods such as District Conde Duque and District Malasaña. The center of this neighborhood is a very commercial area, with El Corte Inglés as the main Commercial Centre and lots of other international shopping trades. And its nice to get lost in all its surrounding streets where you can enjoy great shopping as well as go to charming places to eat or snack, visit some hidden churches, nice squares and the beautiful Military Building, nowadays an Exhibition Museum, called Centro Cultural Conde Duque.

Pintor Rosales Avenue and Ferraz avenue are great for walking, along them you will arrive in 10-15 minutes to the Temple of Debod, Royal Palace or Plaza España. A few steps away is the funicular that takes you to La Casa de Campo park where the Zoo and Amusement Park are, and also lets you enjoy a panoramic view of the city.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment location

Hi, I lived in that area and loved it, it is just as it says in the description (except that saying "walking distance" to the old town is a bit too optimistic... unless you like walking A LOT). Actually, when returning to Madrid now I still try to stay in a hotel near Argüelles metro (unless I'm going for a short business visit and then I stay near whatever place I must visit)

The area near metro Argüelles is very safe, full of bars and restaurants and wonderful for shopping. However, mind you will have to rely on metro and buses for most tourist sights. It may be ideal if you want to "live like a local". But for a first visit, I would probably choose somewhere more close to the sights.

Buen viaje!

Edited: 04 November 2012, 22:12
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
208 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment location

Thank you so much for your help. I do not want to have to rely on transport too much.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment location

I would say that area is more residentially perfect than tourism perfect as you'd have to rely on transport. But it is a great area if you don't mind that. Since you do, I'd look elsewhere. Walkable is always a relative term: in theory everything is walkable if you have enough time.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
208 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment location

Hi again

any help on this place would be welcome

located in the exclusive neighborhood of Chamberí www.rentapartmagazine.com. Perfect ICADE acommodation only 5 minutes by foot from ICADE university.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment location

I would say that Chamberí suffers from the same drawback as Arguelles/Moncloa - a good neighbourhood to live in, but not so great to be a tourist in, unless you like very long walks.

It sounds as though you're flying blind, and relying on the photos and descriptions of apartments without knowing much about the areas they are in. Since you don't want to be reliant on public transport, you should search in the areas of Huertas, Sol, Plaza Mayor, and La Latina. Most of the rental agencies will have properties in these central areas, and, and from accommodation in any of them you will be able to walk easily to all the things you're likely to want to see and do.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 22:31
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment location

Seafarer: I have just gone back and read your very first post which reads :

<We are coming to Madrid for a week next May and do not know where would be the best area to stay. we are late 60's and I have a back problem so cannot walk for miles and miles unless I can sit in between. Fairly central to the city I would think but really need help. we will be arriving by train from Barcelona. When in Barcelona we actually had an apartment which was super but too far out of the city. Any advice pleasenThank you >

On the basis of the information you provided, the original recommendations given to you by forum members were for locations around Sol and surrounding areas. Sol is considered to be the most central point in the city, within easy reach of many sights/attractions and is very well connected in terms of metro, Cercanias, buses and HoHo bus.

I personally don't feel Chamberi is the most appropriate location for you as I suspect, from previous comments you have made, that you wish to be located quite centrally. If you stay in Chamberi you will need to use transport, which I understand is something you wish to avoid.

I suggest, when looking for apartments, that you use Sol as your point of reference in terms of location. The nearer to Sol the apartment is, the more central you will be.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment location

Another area to search in would be the area near Tirso de Molina, La Latina, Las Cortes or Opera. These areas are not far from Sol either and are walkable as well. I agree with Flora. You're looking too far away.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
208 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment location

Thank you all so much. I really am running blind and am so grateful for your help. we decided an apartment now as family members have decided to meet us in Madrid.

9. Re: Apartment location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 10:19