We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing apartments

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Changing apartments

I have booked an apartment with Apartamentos Puerta del Sol however, I am considering changing to one with Friendly Rentals because the location appears to be slightly more convenient to the station and has floorboards rather than tiles which might be cold in November.

The current apartment is on Calle de la Bolsa and the one with Friendly Rentals is on Calle de Cedaceros.

apartamentospuertadelsol.com/english/index.p…

Or

…reservas.ws/index.php…

friendlyrentals.com/en/…apartment-2936-33.htm

Any opinions on the two are most appreciated. I have not been able to find much reviews on the Calle de la Bolsa one and I've seen conflicting photos of the apartment which makes me a little sceptical. One set looks good but the other not so (see 2 links above). I asked the question but the reply did not clarify.

Thanks!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing apartments

In terms of location both apartments are centrally located, so similar in that respect. The roof terrace in apartment one is a nice feature, but more useful during warmer months - cannot see you getting any use from this in November!

My personal preference, based on the information provided, would be for apartment two as it appears to be finished to a better standard. I am aware that Friendly Rentals has been recommended several times on this forum and, if I remember rightly, Wombat (DE Madrid) has used this company in the past.

Reading between the lines I think that you have already answered your own question as your gut instinct seems to be telling you to change - the unspecific response to your enquiry probably didn't help matters.

Prior to making any changes, if that is what you decide to do, please ensure that you read the small print in your original booking confirmation/contract to make sure that you are not liable for any cancellation charges etc.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 23:24
Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing apartments

Thanks for your advice Flora D!

I have already changed the reservations now with no issues on cancellation. I was a little worried about changing so close to the day. It is just a little more than a week to the arrival date. Now I just need the Friendly Rentals people to give me more details about the address and meet up procedures etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing apartments

I'd have switched too. The wooden floor alone would have clinched it for me. Tiles can be lovely, and practical on a beach holiday, but they're cold and forbidding even in summer. And (being mindful of the security deposit) anything dropped on them will break.

The apartment you've switched to is also slightly bigger. You've chosen well: have a great visit to Madrid.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing apartments

I think I'd have switched as well. The 1st apt was actually a very good location in terms of food, but the second is well located for everything and so much nicer in terms of furnishings. Enjoy!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing apartments

Thanks all for your comments! They are not too far apart and I could still go by that street for food. I've seen a good restaurant mentioned on Calle de la Bolsa. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing apartments

I don't understand the reference to food! If there's anything that there's plenty of in Madrid, it's food! You don't have to go to a particular street to find it.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing apartments

I agree with Alabastron about the food comment - Madrid has an abundance of restaurants and bars, it really is a case of being spoilt for choice. Please don't restrict yourself to one particular street or area, exploring different places to eat is part of the fun.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing apartments

Not-so-friendly Friendly Rentals

I think this reply will come too late for your trip, but it may be of use to others.

We recently stayed in the apartment Olivia in Madrid (C/Cabeza, 33, 4º1 28012 Madrid) managed by Friendly Rentals. We found our experience to be rather unpleasant, due to the lack of interest from Friendly Rentals staff. I sent a few emails to them before our visit with some basic questions about transport from the airport and finding their office, but got no replies.

To begin with, we had to travel into the city with our luggage in tow, to pick up the keys, then travel out to the apartment. We thought they would provide us with relevant (tourist-type) information, but the representative was dismissive about our questions, and told us to ring if there were any problems. We had to ask for a second set of keys (there were 4 adults staying), and they were reluctantly supplied. When we made it to the apartment, the first problem was, that we couldn’t get into the external door. After trying for 20 minutes we rang, and were told to jiggle it around and it will eventually work! We did, and finally we got in. (Why didn’t they mention this at the office check-in?)

We had to ring because the codes sticky-taped to the router (the ones they told us to use) wouldn’t give us access to the internet, and the air conditioner wouldn’t turn on (it was hot in the apartment). We were told that the numbers on the router would work, we just had to keep trying!

We rang again, and they agreed to send someone over. He came an hour and a half later, and told us not to use the codes taped to the router, but to use the numbers on the serial sticker (why didn’t they tell us that when we rang the office?) and he said a technician would come and fix the air conditioner later that afternoon.

No-one came. We rang the next day, and they said the technician would come that day. He didn’t. After a few days, we stopped ringing, because we were getting no-where-in fact, every time we rang, the staff member kept saying he couldn’t hear me…it was a bad line, the sound was bad etc. I could hear him perfectly, but it seemed they had trouble hearing when there was a problem that needed fixing! The air conditioner never got fixed while we were there.

All the appliances in the apartment were almost brand new, but there were no instructions about how to use anything. Eventually, we found the manuals for everything, tossed into a cupboard , high in the kitchen. We had to wade through them to get the information we needed.

There was no folder in the apartment, giving advice on transport, places to eat, maps, internet codes, emergency phone numbers or places of interest in the local vicinity. Most places we have stayed at in the past have provided some sort of general information such as this.

Despite all this, the actual apartment was pretty good. We loved the area it was in…not far from Anton Martin metro and the Reina Sofia Museum. There were plenty of places to eat, and it was interesting to walk around the narrow streets surrounding the apartment. We could walk to Sol, Plaza Mayor, the Prado and La Latina district. We enjoyed exploring the streets of the Lavapies district and its multi-cultural character.

I hope your experience with Friendly Rentals was a better one than ours!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing apartments

Sorry to hear of your experience, we usually hear very positive comments about Friendly Rentals. Have you followed up on your grievances with a letter or email to them?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing apartments

Yes, but got no reply!