We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a winter coat?

New York
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a winter coat?

Hello all. I will be arriving to Madrid on Tuesday November 27 for 5 days after 5 days in Barcelona. I looked at the weather report and debating if I need to bring a wool wnter coat with me.

I was planning on bringing a regular jacket that has a lining that can be zippped in and out, but saw the weather might be in the 30's at night in Madrid.

The jacket is good for 40-60 degrees because the easy zip out lining makes it very flexible to use in different temperatures. I know nobody can predict the weather, but was hoping for some opinions on weather I should drag along a warmer coat.

Thanks!!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

Yes you should bring a winter coat! It was fairly mild last night, but evening/night temperatures are set to average about 2 degrees celsius this coming week and as we head towards end of November and into December it will get colder. Mornings and evenings as always colder here. I also recommend bringing gloves and a scarf!

New York
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

Thanks Flora. I was planning on gloves and scarf, I was just hoping not to have to bring a big coat because of packing purposes especially if I won't be using it in Barcelona or even during the day in Madrid.

I'm wondering if an extra layer might work instead of having to take extra coat. I guess I have to really think about this.

Thanks again.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

I would wear an extra layer (or two), like a warm woolly sweater, under your jacket. More versatile and actually warmer that only a thick, heavy coat.

Actually, I don't even own a true "winter coat" since I moved to Barcelona, but I'm visiting Madrid in a regular basis (and colder places) with the extra layers strategy :-)

Besides, cold in Madrid is very dry, and usually sunny, so much more bearable than the humid cold winter days we may have sometimes here in Barcelona, when you feel much colder than what the scale shows.

Buen viaje!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,506 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

Miriam:

I would dress in layers. Many stores are kept very warm, so you may want to remove your jacket in them.

New York
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

I think the extra layer is the way to go. The thought of dragging an extra coat for Madrid evenings is not making me happy.

Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

Another vote for layers, which are always a good idea: they give you plenty of scope for the inevitable contrasts between cold outdoors and warm (probably overwarm) museums.

Layers also equip you for the contrast between cold mornings and evenings, and late mornings and afternoons that can be quite warm if the sun is shining! Madrid is at a high altitude, and there is a wide variation in nighttime and daytime temperatures. I always carry a rucksack (a nice Kipling one that doesn't feel too out of place in in a city) to stash and carry the unwanted layers in during the day.

And that's another reason not to bring a heavy winter coat. You're unlikely to need to during the day, but if you haven't got layers underneath it won't be warm enough to take it off, and even if it is, you'll be lumbered with carrying it.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 18:56
New York
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

Started packing last night because leaving for Barcelona on Wednesday and layers was the winner.

Thanks all for the replies.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

A zip out is perfect. Weather at this time of you can go any way. Today it´s fairly warm, but it changes quickly at times. Remember we are near the mountains so if there´s a north wind it could get cool, although rarely below 40ºF at this time of year.

New York
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

I wore this jacket in Paris last year and it was perfect. It was so convenient to zip the lining in and out as needed. I wear the jacket in NY in 40 F and I'm not cold at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a winter coat?

If your jacket is ok in New York at 40F/5C, you should be fine in Madrid, with maybe an extra layer for evenings and early mornings.