We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas season in Madrid

Lisbon
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas season in Madrid

Hello there, i will be in Madrid with my fiancee between 13 and 16 of this month and i woud like some advices if my friend can provide some help:

- What is the best place for Christmas Decorations?

- We will be doing all our meals in restaurants but we are not rich (well, we are portuguese so you know IMF, etc etc. lol) and we would like some advices in good but not very expensive restaurants.

- Good places for breakfast;

- A good place for churros and porras :)

Many thanks in advance!

Pedro

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Welcome to the Madrid forum Pedro.

The best place to buy Christmas decorations is at the Christmas Market on Plaza Mayor.

The best places to see Christmas lights and decorations are IMO: Barrio Salamanca (Calle Serrano, Calle Jose Ortega y Gassett, Calle Velazquez, Calle Goya), Puerta de Alcala, Sol, Gran Via, Plaza Mayor ..... to name but a few! I am sure others will suggest their favourite places. A Christmas bus departs from Calle Serrano, near to Plaza Colon from 18.00hrs each evening and is a very good way to see the lights and decorations.

San Gines is great for chocolate on churros. There are so many restaurants and bars serving tapas in Madrid, you are sure to find many places to suit your taste and budget. Be sure to look out for the Menu del Dia in restaurants, which often includes 2 or 3 courses in addition to bread and a soft drink or wine in some places - this offers great value for money. Do try Mercado de San Miguel (near Plaza Mayor) and Mercado de San Anton (Chueca) for tapas.

Perhaps if you let us know where you are staying, relevant suggestions for good places for breakfast can be made.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Hello Flora, first of all many thanks for your answer! I will be staying in Hostal Miami (I think that's a decent choice considering the budget) in Calle Gran Via right next to metro stop Callao I guess.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Some tips near Metro Callao:

http://goo.gl/maps/MF8Bm

Lisbon
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Great Revulgo, many thanks!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Museo de Jamon and 100 MontadItos (various branches around the city) are a good place to go for a quick, inexpensive snack.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Thanks once again Flora. I'm open to more suggestions, keep them coming people ;)

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,733 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

Pedro:

A very good place for tapas is the Restaurante Jose Luis at Serrano, 89. The tortilla is wonderful, very moist. They also have one of the best chocolate cakes I have tried in Madrid, called "tarta de chocolate con avellanas".

8. Re: Xmas season in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:17