We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
462 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

We are going to Madrid and Lisbon in February. Could someone help me get my mindset for how much smoke I will need to tolerate? I will post the same question on the Lisbon forum.

I assume public transportation will be smoke free and I respect other countries' situations but it seems to help me if I know what to expect.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

Smoking is only allowed at outdoor spots like terraces.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,163 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

Hotel lobbies are also smoke free.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

It's amazing the turnaround on this custom. I am sure most said it couldn't be done, but once there were some teeth in the regulation, voila, smoke-free in Spain means smoke-free. Wonderful, wonderful!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

Indeed great things have been done to stop smoking in public places - we just need someone to do something to prevent those who feel it is ok to walk along the pavement blowing their second hand smoke into the faces of those who pass by!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

I agree that bars and restaurants in Spain ( and throughout Europe) are better now smoking is not allowed inside. However, to expect people not to smoke in the street is a bit much.

I find it annoying that food is eaten on public transport, especially smelly things like burgers etc, but I just have to put up with it. No, don't all tell me smoking is bad for your health because, strangely enough, I happen to know that.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

I couldn't agree more herman... the benefit of course to smoke is that it does mask the smells of food and other hideous odours, but the smell either at the time or after someone has munched on a sweaty burger on a train or bus is horrible :(

I have recently given up smoking as it was more and more unacceptable in the industry which i work and also around most establishments.

Two months down the line and i've only put on 2 stone - feeling quite proud haha!!

CB

London, England
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

cheekybadger

I sympathise with you. I gave up smoking about 9 years ago and still occasionally still have a pang. During my smoking days I mainly lived in Spain and even now when I go to Spain I often have the desire to have a G & T accompanied with a cigarette. I just have the G & T and of course, a Larios. One has to support the local brands and economy.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

Indeed :) That is the time i most desire one, with a vodka y pina (sorry, can't get my "n" to work) ... either then or straight after a meal, very testing times but i'm getting there and it's easier to manage day by day!!

I think it's done everyone a world of good to ban it in public eateries etc although i wonder how many times people smell their clothes and say to themselves "hmmm, that'll do another day" when previously they would say "yuk, stinks of cigs" in the laundry bin it goes ;-)

Well done for 9 years :)

CB

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

I was worried about bars and restaurants- but every restaurant and bar was smoke free. It's wonderful and you shouldn't worry.

10. Re: Cigarette smokingin restaurants and bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2014, 10:16