We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking Madrid

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Biking Madrid

Is it feasible to bike in historic/museum areas with family (10 + 12 year old)

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking Madrid

I would say madrid is not a bike friendly city, at least not the city center.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking Madrid

Yikes and with kids!?...no way, José...IF you're a serious cyclist, it would still be a challenge, but 10 - 12 year old. Teach them to use public transit. Metro/subway is excellent, but a little more challenging, but a skill they can use no matter where they live....well, a progressive metropolitan area.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking Madrid

Correction. BUS is a little more challenging. Not to ride, but to know the routes. In any case, alert them to pickpockets...better yet you carry their cash.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,733 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking Madrid

ycbg:

Madrid would be dangerous for bikers because I have not seen any bike lanes and traffic moves at very high speeds. The only safe place I have seen is El Retiro Park.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking Madrid

tks for the feedback.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking Madrid

What about the newly developed park area along the Manzanares river bank? That great, brave, river-reclaiming, urban renewal project looks from the photos as though it was made for cycling. I haven't seen it yet, but can't wait to.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 15:16
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking Madrid

I would not bike on the roads in Madrid, but many many families bike in the parks in Madrid. The Retiro is full of biking families on the weekends.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Biking Madrid

The new Madrid Río riverbank park has an issue with bikers and pedestrians. They all share the same lanes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biking Madrid

Yes, that would be an issue. But as long as the lanes are wide enough, I imagine that people will get used to it. In Amsterdam and Berlin, and in other cities, cyclists and pedestrians share lanes and have learned how to co-exist. It's difficult for tourists and other non-residents, though.

Cyclists and pedestrians are a safer combination, generally speaking, than cyclists and motor vehicles. Success depends on courtesy on the part of cyclists, and awareness on the part of both, and that takes time to grow.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biking Madrid

The city has also announced they will be adding 70km of bike paths and bike lanes in the coming year. I think I also read about Spain reducing the speed limit on all city streets to 30kph. This is good news for Spain's growing urban cycling movement which, right now, is very far behind most other developed countries.