We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

Hello. I am looking for a single en-suite room, either with or without breakfast, preferably budget hotel or guest house, in either La Latina or Malasana area in Madrid. My main priorities are that it is safe and clean as I am a woman travelling alone. I would like to be relatively close to good tapas restaurants and venues for flamenco and not too far from the main sites. Any recommendations? Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

I know you say you'd like to be in Malasana or La Latina, but I'm going to recommend the hostal that I have always stayed at on many visits to Madrid, because it meets all your requirements, and the location is just as good.

www.hostalgonzalo.com/

The Gonzalo is in the Calle Cervantes, a quiet street a few minutes walk from the Prado and the other main museums, and the Retiro Park. It's comfortable and clean, and the family who own it are friendly and helpful when help is needed. The surrounding area is full of good tapas places and restaurants, and one of the top flamenco places, Cardomo, is a few minutes walk away in Calle Echegarry.

Like yourself, I am a solo woman traveller, and I've always been happy at the Gonzalo. It's very popular (see the TA reviews) so you'd be wise to book well in advance.

In case you're unfamiliar with the term, a hostal is not a hostEL, but a small, private, usually family-owned hotel. Hostals offer the same accommodation as more expensive hotels, lacking only the frills (24-hour reception, bar, gym, etc).

Edited: 01 January 2013, 22:51
Huddersfield
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

Many thanks however it seems there are no vacancies. Could you recommend anywhere else?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

Since I live in Madrid I can't provide to you useful recommendations for lodging, but if you are interested in tapas bars, I'd recommend La Latina, if interested in alternative culture/bars and vintage clothing stores head to Malasaña, if interested on the main sights --and lively bars and restaurants too-- head to the Hostal Gonzalo at Las Letras/Santa Ana neighborhood.

http://www.hostalgonzalo.com/

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

Hostal Adriano is close to Hostal Gonzalo (and not far from La Latina). I think for food the place to be would be La Latina, although the place Alabastaron has suggested is about a 10 minutes easy walk (I lived around the corner from it and my son attended a high school right in La Latina so it was a terribly familiar commute to me). There are a few places in La Latina that are popular on TA like Posada de Léon de Oro and Posada del Dragón. And there are also some much smaller places on booking.com with reviews as well but which do not have much on TA so take that as it is. These are Marogo Latina (there is one review in French which seems fine), and Hostal Apolo (2 reviews) and Hostal LeZule (no reviews). They vary in price as well. I like to use booking.com because they allow cancellations (occasionally) and they also give you a lot of information about the rooms as well as reviews like TA.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

Thanks very much everyone

6. Re: hotel/guest house accommodation Malasana or La Latina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 22:16